Cost to plant jiggs

Help Support CattleToday:

jsm

Reaction score
All, what would it cost per acre to have jiggs planted? Has anyone priced this lately?

Thanks,
Joseph

It won't be any different than the cost of planting Tifton 85 or Coastal. The quote I received last year was $25 per acre to plant, plus the cost of the grass - sprigs or tops.

The neat thing about Jiggs or Tifton is the abilty to buy it baled green and then spread the tops and disc them in lightly - all before a rain or at least into moist soil. Jiggs is incredibly aggressive. I have a small nursery of both and cut the tops every now and then and replant them where needed with a little phosphorus sprinkled around. It will get up and go!

jsm":1umvmixk said:
Thanks. I hope I can do some of the work and save myself some money.

You can. If you can locate a professional who has a Bermuda King who's willing to rent out the machine there is a pretty good savings to be had. They are fairly simple to operate. Just need a driver and also someone to break the square bales (if your using tops) to feed into the machine. Sprigs will cost you quite a bit more but they come loose already. Whoever has the machine to rent probably has a source for the tops or sprigs too.