cost per day

Help Support CattleToday:

footballjdtractor

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what my cost per day is to finish a steer. with feed, labor, and utilities I think it's around $1.62. Does this seem in the ballpark? corn is 3.20/bushel.

sound a little high to me,but i dont know.when i figured my brake profit cost /day on my 4 weights was running about .89 . i figure a .10 profit in to cost . dont let anyone tell you its ok to brake even. because it is not .i am sure it takes more to put finish on.

break even means you failed. you failed at your goal of sustainability for your own interests. of course I want a percentage profit involved. If I can put 10,000.00 into a mutual fund and turn 10% interest for the year on return it goes without saying that I want to double or triple that with my funds if i am hands on so much. there is no nobility in a hobby or poverty.

jbar":3vqe72xo said:
sound a little high to me,but i dont know.when i figured my brake profit cost /day on my 4 weights was running about .89 . i figure a .10 profit in to cost . dont let anyone tell you its ok to brake even. because it is not .i am sure it takes more to put finish on.

There are too many variebles to really say. What weight are they? What type of ration are you feeding? etc. I'm quite a bit higher when figured on a per day cost, but I am around 6 weeks from finish so they are really putting the corn away now.

I figure feed cost of gain at 10 times the price of one pound of corn for 1 pound of gain.

So if Corn=$3.50/bu it would look like this

$3.50 / 56#/bu x 10 = $0.625 in feed per pound of gain. This isn't an exact number, but here in the midwest where allmost all of the beef is corn fed it gets us in the ball park. You also still have to figure in facilities, labor, machinery... but that's going to float a lot depending on the operation.

In my feedlot, we use $0.85/day as our planning figure. At the end of the day, it is a pretty accurate figure for us. Take into account we're crushed corn and cotton seed feed to angus-type calves.

In my feedlot, we use $0.85/day as our planning figure. At the end of the day, it is a pretty accurate figure for us. Take into account we're crushed corn and cotton seed feed to angus-type calves.

gerardplauche":225h30ik said:
$.30 per pound of gain feed costs now thats impressive. How many head would you like to custom feed for that kind of money? I will send as many as you would like.

I was thinking the same thing-- .85/day wouldn't even cover ingredient costs.

I include everything but labor and return to management - I'm cutting every corner I can find. And I am still up around 1.60/day.

In southern alberta the cost of gain is about $0.75. so at 3.5#s a day it's $2.63 per day. Sounds cheap dosen't it.

Latest posts