cost of cows

Help Support CattleToday:

TJ

Reaction score
looking to start up a herd in so. wisconsin. what are cows selling for.

Pretty much whatever you are willing to pay! Purebreds may cost more then the 8 to 15, but those are good figures to start with. Bred cows will bring more but are the best way to get started.

I'm also in so. wisconsin. Just sold 2 black angus cows (2y/o & 3 y/o) for $900 each. Nice big cows that are due to calve in the next month-not registered. I was also at an auction a couple weeks ago where most of the better bred cows sold in the $900-$1000 range. Again they weren't registered cattle.

Those sound like good prices for them. Around here those heavy bred blacks will bring upwards of $1,300 in the sale barn.

Before you start buying, now is the time you should decide what kind of herd you are looking to keep...........a registered herd with excellent EPD's, a good purebred commercial herd, or a simple grade herd.

It costs no more to feed either one, but of course the initial start up can present quite a difference in price between any of them.

Decide what your market will be for the finished product.

Resale of purebreds and or registered?

Sale of calves each fall or spring?

Sale of beef? Whne we sell beef, we DON"T pick out the top cattle in our herd to slaughter. of course just the opposite.

I have to term some of the prices I've seen here as incredible!Short, short mouths with calf at side (200lb.) Some bringing 950.00. Heifers bringing 1000.00, Heifers with calves close to 1400.00. Sellers market, couldn't imagine getting in the business right now. I'm just thank ful I got into the business when I did--A long time ago.We've all seen good times and bad.Hope we can ride the tide some more.

With 600-700 pound calves bringing 600-700 dollars, or more, I am not scared to pay 1200-1300 dollars per cow.