Corral Plans

Help Support CattleToday:

Cussin' Gus

Reaction score
http://ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/medium/pens.jpeg

I am going to build a new set of pens at the house, enough to handle 25-30 cows when ai'ing, 50 calves or more at weaning and room to shuffle my kid show calves around. The picture picture is not entirely accurate. The alley's are going to 10' wide and the 2 pens will 24' x 24'. I think might put a shipping container at the end near the tub and close it all off. Is this overkill?

I think the layout will work good for you, the only problem that I see right off is the gates to the pens after they go through the chute are hanging on the wrong post. unless I'm looking at it wrong and you have something else in mind. By hanging them on the other post they will open up across the alley and the cows will flow in it better than having to go around it or not being able to see the opening.

Not overkill. I don't think you can have too many gates in a working pen no matter what as sorting is always the hardest part to me.
If you mean (by "close it all off" ) that the whole sorting/handling/working environment will be bordered in some way by a fence or barrier--YES--it's always a good idea IMO! For me, getting a group in is pretty easy, but if one or 2 ever gets out, they can be a pita to get back in the pens.
180 degree sweep? I like it--wish I had done it instead of the 90 deg sweep I am using.

The one suggestion I would make is. I like to have a recapture pen around my squeeze chute. I case you miss one or your A.I. ing and the bull is close LOL :tiphat: . JMHO B&G

Yep, even if I'm done with them, they don't go out of the work area till I LET them out.

h8p7.jpg

greybeard":2ygwnmkd said:
Yep, even if I'm done with them, they don't go out of the work area till I LET them out.
I'm kind of the opposite, I like a big corral to turn them into when I'm done. That way anything snorty can go calm down in a corner. I can sort a gentle one that I miss out pretty easy but I don't like having fire breathing dragons penned up close when I'm on foot and paying attention to something else.

That's the purpose of those 2 gates on the right side. But I think we are both saying the same thing CP.
"till I let them out" means I usually will send them out of the area around the chute/alley and back into the holding area.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/uploads/5642/pens.jpg

I should have loaded the full plan, but here is the full footprint, with the right end having a shipping container for feed room etc. I will probably adjust the alley so that the bottom side alley gate will act as a funnel when the cows come out of the chute. I sure appreciate everyones advice.

Cussin' Gus":13lweal4 said:
http://ranchers.net/photopost/uploads/5642/pens.jpg

I should have loaded the full plan, but here is the full footprint, with the right end having a shipping container for feed room etc. I will probably adjust the alley so that the bottom side alley gate will act as a funnel when the cows come out of the chute. I sure appreciate everyones advice.

There you go. I like it. B&G :tiphat:

Latest posts