corral muck

Help Support CattleToday:

pappy1":14epdbhd said:
yea andto think he is doing it without having any real sense of what he is talking about
99% hot air 1% bs or is it the other way around
I guess it's safe to think you are his #1 fan. :shock:

Kinda wondering what percentage of manure is required for mud to turn to muck? Looking at my bull pen today I'm thinking maybe we have passed the muck to something else........... :shock:

I have been biting my tongue for days. I wasn't going to respond to Maw comments. Well, I just bit through my tongue. Others on here know that constant muddy lots are a sore spot for me. Anyone who thinks its ok to leave cattle in mud 24-7/365 doesn't deserve to have cattle. :mad: I fully understand there will be times when they are in mud - but not everyday of their life. You need to be out there trying to find some relief for them. Haul it out, build mounds, slope the ground, roll out cornstalk/straw bales, something. We run a dozer business and are hired quite freguently to improve drainage in cattle lots. It's not as expensive as you might think. You can either spend your money making improvements or spend it on vet bills, death loss, or extra feed because they take longer to finish out. I've seen some get docked on their selling price because of excess mud on the cattle. I'd rather spend money on improvements with a chance of making it back at selling time rather than loosing money out of pure laziness. Ok, I'll step down now.

Triple L":fnaf6q6s said:
A little back ground, bought a new place that has a real nice cattle barn. the barn has feed bunks and just about all the bells and whistles any one could want. execpt...... the muck. The bulls (mine and a budy's) are keep in the corral with the cow and heifers out in the pasture. What can I do to help with this muck. Once we move the bulls out for breading I can let the corral dry enough to grade it out some and add a gutter to the barn but for now these bulls are sinking up to their knees. Any idea for a short term fix?

thanks Sam
u can put some lime in there that will help dry it out also cuts down on the smell.but thats only a temp fix cause when you get a heavy rain and then traffic from your cattle youll have a mess again.the best thing is to regrade it.add some rock and if the barn drips rainwater youll have to redirect that as well.we arent having that problem here in texas.

Coolwater

Thats for the Lime idea. I give that a try. I will have plenty of work to do re-directing some of the water. Sorry to hear about all the dry weather down your way. I have a few calls looking for ANY hay from folks in Texas. I hope some rain comes your way soon.

Triple L":178lhoep said:
Coolwater

Thats for the Lime idea. I give that a try. I will have plenty of work to do re-directing some of the water. Sorry to hear about all the dry weather down your way. I have a few calls looking for ANY hay from folks in Texas. I hope some rain comes your way soon.
weve had a little rain here and there but were still way behind.youre right about the hay shortage.i managed to find some square bales and while hauling them home had people wanting me to roll down my window and tell em where to get it.last year we would fertilze then no rain.then in my county and surrounding counties got hit hard by hurricane rita.lots of folks lost theyre barns.just been a rough year.but with the lords blessings maybe this next year will be better.

Latest posts