Corral boards

Help Support CattleToday:

sassafras manor

Reaction score
We are preparing to build our first set of proper working pens for sorting and holding back weaning calves. For aesthetics I would like to have the boards attached on the outside of the posts but am wondering for strength if it would be better to have the boards on the inside of the posts? If I were to screw (vs. ring shanks) them to the posts would that give them enough strength to have them on the outside of the posts? Thanks

I'm using screws and 2x6 treated lumber on the inside of the post.

Screwing them to the outside of the posts will work but will depend a lot on what wood you are using... thickness, and distance between posts. If you are using a 1" rough cut corral board, you may want to consider placing the boards on both sides of posts.

Boards go to the inside. The best look is it done right. ;-)

Most the woods pens around here that have been standing since long before I was born run continuous boards and splice them with a small 2' board or so to the back. Now days people use a carriage bolt but there are a lot of pens with bent nails holding the splice. Then they are just using big nails to attach the run to the post.

That's about the same setup as my corrals right now. I started off trying to find the same length boards as the spacing between my posts but now I just overlap the ends if they're too long.

I always run boards on the insides of the post, better safe than sorry. I'm not sure if screws on the outside would be strong enough and I'm too cautious to find out ;). The last thing I want is to run them into the corral and then have them bust out the side and end up chasing them through the yard and down the road.

sassafras manor":2nkr5p4h said:
They are pressure treated 2"x6"s with posts spacing at 5'

I put decorative fencing boards around the perimeter of our corrals and used the heavy gauge wire cattle panels to line the inside. I added a board at the top and one in the middle over the wire panels. So far it's holding up great after 4 years and I only have one board to replace.

Brute 23":2oljmu3a said:
Boards go to the inside. The best look is it done right. ;-)

Most the woods pens around here that have been standing since long before I was born run continuous boards and splice them with a small 2' board or so to the back. Now days people use a carriage bolt but there are a lot of pens with bent nails holding the splice. Then they are just using big nails to attach the run to the post.
Boards on the inside for sure... cattle hug the wall in a corral don't need a road block """post"" stopping that flow...I use deck screws on the boards...

I already have the 2"x6"s left over from another job inside the barn and want to get them out of the way. My plan is to start 12" off of the ground then alternate every 5.25" up to 60". I will be using 3.5" Torx deck screws to secure them. The consensus is that the boards will go on the inside. Thanks for confirming my thoughts!

sassafras manor":ghopho3j said:
I already have the 2"x6"s left over from another job inside the barn and want to get them out of the way. My plan is to start 12" off of the ground then alternate every 5.25" up to 60". I will be using 3.5" Torx deck screws to secure them. The consensus is that the boards will go on the inside. Thanks for confirming my thoughts!

Can I talk you into to going a little higher than 5ft? 5 1/2 maybe...

As several have mentioned, put the boards to the inside. As animals push against the boards, they also push against the post. Make your fence taller (5 1/2 to 6 ft tall) unless you are handling Jerseys, Dexters, Low Lines or mini Herefords.

Agree, boards inside and at least 5 1/2 ft tall, you can use a narrower spacing for the bottom 2 boards to keep legs from going through and then a wider spacing in the middle, not enough for a head, and narrower at the top for strength.

The pens I've built are at 5' to the top, and none of my cattle have ever looked like they were even thinking about going over the top, even though they're those "Crazy Brangus".

I would go 6ft tall. I have part of my corral that is 5 ft. If they can get there head over it they will try and jump. And no way I would put the wood on the outside depending on a few screws to hold in a 2000 lb bull isn't going to work.

I set the top of the posts at 5 1/2' and will make that work. Up until the construction of these new pens everything (cows, calves and bulls) was moved/sorted/loaded with gentle pressure using T posts and 50" cattle panels so I feel confident these new pens will be adequate at 5 1/2' tall and 6 rows of boards. Thanks for the help!

The thing to realize is, operations change, and what will work today might not a few years down the road with different animals.

snoopdog":unvjyzdi said:
The thing to realize is, operations change, and what will work today might not a few years down the road with different animals.
Different breeds for sure...a Brahman is more athletic, than a angus..Don't want a Brahman in one under a 6 footer... Unless she's blind and got only 3 legs...