corn prices

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Just got an arcticle from my fieldman, that they predict corn to go up to $7.50 a bushel by Mid Novemebr-I am sure we all know what that means.

GMN

Predictions.... :roll: ....Weather are forecasts are predictions also.

Both will probably have the same accuracy.

GMN":3s2vykrk said:
Just got an arcticle from my fieldman, that they predict corn to go up to $7.50 a bushel by Mid Novemebr-I am sure we all know what that means.

GMN
Don't know if it will go that high but don't figure it's going down much either. PBA is suppose to be down and carryover stocks are below 900 million bushels. $6.00 is very likely tho.

In my opinion, much of the current increase in grain prices is due to speculation. Funny Money dollars looking for a place to make a return higher than the ridiculous 0.3% or so one gets in most bank savings, etc.

Specs wants price movement. Up or Down.

There is a lot of corn out there. Much of it, especially 09 crop, is not very good quality but it is useful for the ethanol market.

Demand is not going to push corn to 7.50. Speculation may. But if it does it will not stay there for long.

I personally believe that the underlying, demand related base price is more likely about $5, maybe 5.50 with the "short" crop, shorter at least than earlier yield predictions. But still a "good" crop overall.

If I was a corn buyer I would try to be patient. However I am not a corn buyer and this advice is worth what you paid for it. I would definitely NOT bet the farm on corn reaching and staying anywhere near your 7. or 7.50 numbers. Definitely my humble opinion though. Jim

The only way I would sell corn at todays prices would to be to lock in all inputs now. If corn goes to 7.50 anhydrous will be over $1000.

Larry

larryshoat":1w7jrl4m said:
The only way I would sell corn at todays prices would to be to lock in all inputs now. If corn goes to 7.50 anhydrous will be over $1000.

Larry
That's what I'm going to do, start buying fert. for the corn an cotton. In 08 I didn't book for that reason an I then prices fell but inputs didn't.

jedstivers":32zs62ub said:
larryshoat":32zs62ub said:

Larry
That's what I'm going to do, start buying fert. for the corn an cotton. In 08 I didn't book for that reason an I then prices fell but inputs didn't.

You are exactly right. Seems like it gets more complicated every day.

Larry

cowboy43":2moahxob said:
Central Tx. 50 lb bag Deer corn $7.79
dam....saw it advertised in a sale paper from Academy about a week ago for $4.99 a bag. About the cheapest I've heard of.

GMN":2nzoya7n said:
cowboy43":2nzoya7n said:

Just curious-isn't it illegal to put out grain for the deer to hunt them?

Not in Texas. Most hunters start putting out protein in February and feed it thru August then follow up with corn during hunting season. Also plant a lot of foot plots as well. You might check with Alacowman about Alabama. I think they "bait" with watermelons.

TexasBred":2y7qic82 said:
GMN":2y7qic82 said:
cowboy43":2y7qic82 said:

Just curious-isn't it illegal to put out grain for the deer to hunt them?

Not in Texas. Most hunters start putting out protein in February and feed it thru August then follow up with corn during hunting season. Also plant a lot of foot plots as well. You might check with Alacowman about Alabama. I think they "bait" with watermelons.
Here you'll get a ticket for the watermelons but corn is fine to use.

jedstivers":22yhvrz6 said:
TexasBred":22yhvrz6 said:
Here you'll get a ticket for the watermelons but corn is fine to use.
is that because the melons draw in protected species not just deer

Corn is going to go up. Iowa had a really bad year for corn production due to too mcuh rain so a lot of nitrogen leached away. Southeast Iowa had to replant corn 3 times this spring and then couldn't get back in to spray or side dress nitrogen. Iv'e heard they are getting 140 bushels all the way down to 40 bushel yields when they should be pushing 200+, Central Iowa is in the mid 100 bushel range and should be higher also. The only parts of Iowa that have the bushels are the western part of iowa and the norhteast. When Iowa has a bad year for corn production, prices are going to go up.

Latest posts