Corn Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Are you implying cheap corn makes cheap beef? Lack of Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) is also having a detrimental effect on the price of beef.
I sure hope we can get more people back to work this year. It was a bad time to change horses.

Are you implying cheap corn makes cheap beef? Lack of Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) is also having a detrimental effect on the price of beef.
I sure hope we can get more people back to work this year. It was a bad time to change horses.
Corn is through the roof

HD: I'm not sure corn has seen the roof yet. Looking at your chart the low in corn will coincide more or less with the low in beef. This has been the case
historically. This being the case I think with the higher corn prices we may see fewer cattle going on feed to finish and slaughtered at a lighter weight
and cheaper cuts. As more and more cattle are marketed earlier the calf and lightfeeder market could take a hit. Somewhere ahead of us will be an
opportunity to get well with bred heifers and cows. Right now I don't have a handle on the timing for that. May be before the newcrop corn comes in
but if we hit a dry year all bets would be off. My crystal ball fell off the table and broke years ago..................LVR

I just buy corn, I never raise it. It's a shade over 5 dollars at the elevator with a basis of 15 cents. it Was cheaper at harvest, but the basis was much higher. I bought 600 bushels in the fall, and 500 a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't a huge difference in the price. I "think" when corn is high, they'll pay you keep cattle on your farm longer, and that's what I like to do. What yearlins are selling for at the moment, I'm sorry I'm feeding so many.

Latest posts