Corn Hits Record High

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
By Sam Nelson
Wed Jun 11, 1:20 PM ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - U.S. corn futures soared more than 4 percent to a fresh record high for the fifth consecutive trading session on Wednesday as flooding expanded in the U.S. Midwest, harming the 2008 corn crop.

"There's still no indication that we're getting ready to change this pattern. Concerns continue from planting issues to emergence to crop development," Mike Palmerino, forecaster for DTN Meteorlogix, said.

Corn prices on the Chicago Board of Trade have surged 80 percent over the past year, with nearly 17 percent of that tacked on just this month.

Soybeans surged 3 percent and wheat leaped nearly 5 percent as those markets followed corn, but the historic rainfall and flooding in the United States also were beginning to hurt soy and wheat crop prospects.

"There is definitely concern. There is way too much water and, even if it is drier next week, it won't matter now. It's too late to plant corn and even bean yields are being affected," Vic Lespinasse, an analyst for GrainAnalyst.com, said.

Corn prices rallied the daily trading limit of 30 cents per bushel early in the session and the new-crop July 2009 contract soared to a record $7.56-1/4, surpassing the record of $7.35 set in during Asian trading hours.

By midday, U.S. corn for July 2008 delivery was locked up the 30-cent limit at $7.03-1/4 per bushel.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture this week slashed 5 bushels per acre from its estimate for U.S. corn yields because of excessive rainfall and flooding in key corn states, including top producers Illinois and Iowa.

Now there are ideas that yields and corn acreage will fall further because it keeps raining. This season has come the closest to the historic flood in summer 1993.

"That's the year everyone is looking at as a comparison," Palmerino said.

That summer the U.S. Midwest suffered from heavy flooding after weeks of rain that eventually caused the Mississippi River, a major North American river and grain shipping artery, to flood, washing out surrounding corn and soybean fields.

"The size of the corn crop is coming down, and maybe the wheat crop too," said Chicago cash merchant Glenn Hollander of Hollander-Feuerhaken.

U.S. wheat markets leaped to keep up with corn and now the maturing winter wheat crop is being threatened by the rains.

Wheat for July delivery was up 58 cents per bushel at $8.67 per bushel at midday, nearing its 60-cent trading limit.

European grain markets followed the trends at the CBOT, extending their early rally. In Paris, the benchmark November wheat contract settled up 12.75 euros, or 6.6 percent, at 205 euros a tonne, after hitting 205.25 euros, its highest level since April 17.

"If you look at corn prices, wheat can only rise. We can't have wheat cheaper than corn," a European trader said.

U.S. traders said the excessive wet weather in the U.S. crop region was the main driver of the markets, but they also tied some of the gains to a strong rebound in crude oil and gold as the dollar fell.

"More rain is exactly what we don't need, and today we have the added support from crude oil being up," Lespinasse said.

U.S. soyoil, a key resource for the biodiesel industry, soared following crude oil, and soybean futures held to their own limit gains.

U.S. soy for July delivery was up its limit of 70 cents at $15.16-1/2 per bushel.

the high corn price will kill us now.the feed that has corn in it will triple.maybe the corn an bean prices will go bust.an get back inline.

bigbull338":1y281edb said:
the high corn price will kill us now.the feed that has corn in it will triple.maybe the corn an bean prices will go bust.an get back inline.

BB I am setting in the center of some of the most fertile corn country in the world and it is under water :( The corn that did not drownd out is very yellow and is very short on nitrogen to make it grow. If they used preplant herbicide they will not even be able to plant a late bean crop! We could see corn push $9 a bushel by fall but there will be very little to sell unless we have a perfect season from here on untill harvest. In my sixty years I can not remember this amount of ground not even planted at this time of year. It will cause a lot of belts to tighten on both the livestock and crop sides of this deal. The grain farmer allready has his money put into a crop that is not there! He could be dead now and have no way to correct the problem.

If does cost a small fortune to put in a corn crop now days and that is why almost every dirt farmer buys government subsidized crop insurance.

Who has their 2008 calves price protected and how did you do it?

This thing is headed somewhere and who knows where it will end (probably with all of us farmers and ranchers broke and the people that charge us for stuff making all the money). Its headed for some shaky ground that will test every farmer adn ranchers pocket book before its done.

I have just returned form the cattle sale the price of corn has already affected the price of cattle. Off at least 6c from last week. Pairs off 50 to 75.

Stocker Steve":3aekdtl8 said:
If does cost a small fortune to put in a corn crop now days and that is why almost every dirt farmer buys government subsidized crop insurance.

Who has their 2008 calves price protected and how did you do it?
Steve 2 weeks ago you could have got a October 08 at $120 for $3.75. Now not so good. At this point I would look into LRP and LGM. Especially considering you can now have a LRP policy and take a position in the futures and options market at the same time. Win win there.

The USDA dropped the bushel per acre average another 5. That was before the wide spread damage done in the corn belt yesterday. I think 8 dollar corn is becoming a reality. I wonder how much of the ethanol corn has been contracted. The corn is virtually at a stand still up here, high of 47 yesterday, with 3 inches of cold rain.

since alot of corn ground got/is getting floodedout.looks like we all maybe in for a bumpy ride.when i feed feed i get the cheapest feed i can get.an only feed as long as i have to.

More than one coop in the area has made it very clear to their patrons who have fall cash corn contracts that there will be no buy out options you will deliver bushels. Now won't that be interesting for the RA insurance with harvest price options.

I just wish people would realize ethnol isn't helping the oil deal. In actuality, from my calculations, one is using more oil by buying 10% ethnol fuel. My truck ran 2-3 mile less to the gallon depending on driving conditions. That is pretty bad when you are talking about 14-18mpg anyways.

I own a 2000 chevy venture van this spring I took a driving vacation to Orlando Fl via the North Carolina Race car shops then back home via Sulphur Springs Texas. My first and only on tank of E85 was bought in MN leaving and it averaged 24.8. My next tank was E10 bought in Indiana that average was 23.7 mpg. The next six tankfulls ranged from 26.2 mpg for a high and 19.4 mpg for a low all six tanks contained no ethanol. My last tankfull bought in kansas was E10 and averaged 23.4. I never kept track of the miles in Orlando but I'm guessing that it was probably even less than the 19.4 mpg. I've always heard people complain about lower mpg with E10 but never knew for sure personally because we have been subjected to it's use for so long here in MN I have never had anything to compare it to. It appears there is normal gas that can be even worse than a ethanol blend.

Yesterday at lunchtime I caught part of the feeder sale on RFD , prices were still over $1.00 with one lot being sold at 1.30, most feedlots use silage as the main part of their ration but the costs to produce that silage have doubled in the past year . If the fat cattle market doesn't soon pick up I can't where there is any money to be made feeding steers.

The only cattle producers that will be OK, are the ones with the ability to put the weight on with grass. Cattle numbers nation wide will go down. High quality beef will have to go higher or their won't be any. The doors will open to Brazilian fresh and frozen beef. The end of the US fed cattle industry as we know it. YUP! it's the corn ethanol blunder.

mnmtranching":388tdfvz said:
The only cattle producers that will be OK, are the ones with the ability to put the weight on with grass. Cattle numbers nation wide will go down. High quality beef will have to go higher or their won't be any. The doors will open to Brazilian fresh and frozen beef. The end of the US fed cattle industry as we know it. YUP! it's the corn ethanol blunder.

How much $7-9 a bushel corn do you think the ethanol plants will buy. Do you think that they have 100% passthru for there costs :???: Last nights paper listed 6 plants in my area that had the plug pulled after land was aquired and permitting was in hand so I do not think they are the ones pushing the price to the top. The weather is driving the mkt. now and no one has any idea what the top will be.

How much $7-9 a bushel corn do you think the ethanol plants will buy. - - As many as they need supplement what they have in storage

Do you think that they have 100% pass thru for there costs - - Ethanol plants will keep running for now even if they can only cover the variable costs. Building new plants is a different deal since you have not committed all the capital yet nor paid the start up costs.

The weather is driving the mkt. now and no one has any idea what the top will be - - Speculators are driving this market, just like they drove wheat prices up and down. I wish they would drive the beef price up for a while :banana:

NO! I don't think ethanol plants can buy 6-8 dollar corn. It's going to put an end to it. That's all I've been saying all along. Corn ethanol has killed itself.

Even though the title of this post is a couple of weeks old it seems like the title of this post will be appropriate for a while. Seems like every time I look corn has hit another record high.

blacksnake":1wry0nbc said:
Even though the title of this post is a couple of weeks old it seems like the title of this post will be appropriate for a while. Seems like every time I look corn has hit another record high.

Snake...quit looking darn it.. :lol: Maybe it will go down. (Yeah sure)

Latest posts