corn gluton

Help Support CattleToday:

I think Dun and a few others do. I have bought some feeds that had it in it. I don't know if it was the gluton but the processed feeds that had it I don't use anymore. Could be coincidence. A lot of people use it.

Scotty

I fed it for a while not long enough to give you a lot of info but enough to know i had trouble keeping it, I would love to feed it, it has good credentials from what ive seen but at the end of 7 days it stunk pretty bad. It didnt really have mold in it though it just started to stink. Dont know if this is help but its my some of my thoughts on it

I usually feed wet gluton. It is inexpensive where I'm at, and a fairly good feed. In the winter, I can keep it well over 2 weeks before I notice any mold growing on it, and in the summer if I keep it tarped it adds quite a few days to it's shelf life. Last year I fed old cows hay, stover, and #4 of gluten per day, and they did well. It is high in phos, which is expensive to add in to the mineral, so that also helped. You'll want to start them S L O W on it, or they will have the poop's, it must be kinda rich for their system, especially the calves. But for feeding out or finishing gluten or distillers is great. If the guys get a good deal around here they usually buy a bunch and bag it. It averages $23 a ton. Seen it anywhere from $18 to $38. I think it stinks when the truck drops it off, and it stinks coming out the back end of the cow.

farmer4620":31sqch79 said:
I fed it for a while not long enough to give you a lot of info but enough to know i had trouble keeping it, I would love to feed it, it has good credentials from what ive seen but at the end of 7 days it stunk pretty bad. It didnt really have mold in it though it just started to stink. Dont know if this is help but its my some of my thoughts on it

We used to store it in 55 gallon plastic barrels, around 260 lbs per barrel. Never had a problem, but it does have a smell to it even when fresh. Some cows won;t eat it, others suck it up like candy. We now feed a ration that's around 1/3 cron gluten. It's stored in a feed bin. We only get a load every 6-8 months. We're feeding the weaned calves the stuff that we got in January and it's still ok. No mold or unusual smell. Calves are eating it fine and doing well on it.

dun

Chuckie":35gtrcax said:
The corn gluten that our feed mill sells is in a dry pellet form. The cows love it. I like the smell of it since it smells like Wheaties.

That's the stuff that we feed. Never seen it in a loose form.

dun

Chuckie":2pci0xrs said:
Dun, You try it with milk and sugar first. I'll trust your judgement.

You're the one that said it smelled like wheaties. It's too foul smelling for my taste. My FIL is around 90 and eats wheaties for breakfast every day, every single stinking day. I'll ask him what it tastse like. That way I won;t have to go buy a box of the real thing when he comes to visit next time.

dun

I know one thing, I am going to get a box of wheaties when I go to the store. Maybe two.
OK, I'll try it first and let you know. I wonder what the cookies would taste like. A few raisins and handful of pecans.

Once you get your Cattle accustomed to Corn Gluten, you can expect them to gain weight and slick out real well. I use a 12% feed that's heavy in Gluten. They love it. It's a mix with Bean Meal, Cracked Corn,Dry Molasses, and Gluten. I've been using it for years.

Chuckie":2fdpq11q said:
The corn gluten that our feed mill sells is in a dry pellet form. The cows love it. I like the smell of it since it smells like Wheaties.

What is the approximate cost for gluten in the dry peooet form?

$109.00 per ton in this area... tagged at 15-16% protein but the guy said they would test at 19-20% protein.
Don't know where you are.. but Flickerwood Farms in Jackson, MO is the guy who has it and they truck it all over as well.

alfaoat (alfalfa/oat) pellets at 12% protein is $150.00 ton (I know you didn't ask about that)

The pellet gluten also makes a great creep feed. I've used it as the complete creep and the calves will consume it up to 4-5#/day just before weaning. If you are close to a ethenol plant the wet meal is around $30/ton + delivery. Dry meal is alittle higher.

I use gluten pellets and like it . I do wish the pellet would not break down quite so easy . It will leave some fines in the bunk and you will get some sort. I use a mix of 50% gluten and 50% soy pellets and it cost $119.00 per ton del. , we add cracked corn, oats and a mineral pack.Im shooting for a 14% ration .I hope im there or atleast close.

I also use the wet gluton. There is a new product that the plant sprays on the gluten as it is augered into the holding pit, that will allow you to keep it in better condition in the summer for atleast 2 extra weeks. The treated stuff is $2 a ton higher. Well worth it with the waste you get in the summer if you can't move thru a load fast enough.

The pellets in the mix I get takes dynamite to break it up. You could kill squirrels with a pellet of it in a sling shot. Cattle don't seem to have a problem with it though. They love it, and do well on it.

Latest posts