Copper ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am doing some tissue testing to up my game. One element that is testing consistently low is copper.

How have you applied copper, and have you seen a benefit ?

Yes to both.. We are very low here, and have had better breedback since I use a 2500 ppm copper supplement... Hair color is better too. We are also low in Phosphorus and Selenium, and with 125 ppm selenium I have never again had a retained placenta.

Tried the copper boluses one year, seemed to help, but the time to shove one down every cow was time consuming. Shortly after switched to my current mineral, from Northern Feeds in Greenbush, MN which has the high quality chelated organic copper compounds and does the same thing. I would look into how far you would have to go to find a dealer for that mineral, Steve. I would think you could pick it up in Bagley, if not closer. Should have picked up a bag for you when we were at the feed mill last year and given it to you before you left, think I could have sold you on it. I know I won't buy anything else.

The one I get is called 6:12 (or 9:18) from Vitaferm. They recommend 4oz/hd/day, which I would go broke at ($30-40 per bag)... Just worked it out, I'd get 10 days per bag on 20 head, over a year that would be $1100

I feed it at about 30% in loose salt and have had good results with that, I may mix a bit more into it from January-july for pre calving and breeding seasons.

Nesikep":34ffr4mr said:
Yes to both.. We are very low here, and have had better breedback since I use a 2500 ppm copper supplement... Hair color is better too. We are also low in Phosphorus and Selenium, and with 125 ppm selenium I have never again had a retained placenta.
Your mineral probably has a very elevated level of Vitamin E which works in conjunction with the selenium.

Nesikep":3az4k1im said:
The one I get is called 6:12 (or 9:18) from Vitaferm. They recommend 4oz/hd/day, which I would go broke at ($30-40 per bag)... Just worked it out, I'd get 10 days per bag on 20 head, over a year that would be $1100

I feed it at about 30% in loose salt and have had good results with that, I may mix a bit more into it from January-july for pre calving and breeding seasons.
Nesi based on the same 4 oz per head per day you do realize that by diluting it with salt you just reduced the copper and Se consumption as well as all the other vitamins and minerals by 70%?

Yes, I do realize that, they still get far more of all of the above than in a "Mineral" salt block which has about 250ppm copper around here, and 20 ppm Selenium, and NO phosphorus

I can't remember the exact quantities of the vitamins, but it was a 100:10:1 for A:D:E, and I think it was 1,100,000:110,000,11,000 overall..

Nesikep":r3ph00jo said:
Yes, I do realize that, they still get far more of all of the above than in a "Mineral" salt block which has about 250ppm copper around here, and 20 ppm Selenium, and NO phosphorus

I can't remember the exact quantities of the vitamins, but it was a 100:10:1 for A:D:E, and I think it was 1,100,000:110,000,11,000 overall..
heck they don't even list copper, se or phos on those blocks around here. Just show that it has 2-3% something besides salt. :lol:

The mineral blocks are a complete scam.. besides if you want a "Mineral + Selenium" block, it's like $18 bucks a danged block!.. for 98% salt! For years (before I came to CT) we *thought* we were doing the right thing by giving them those blocks, but when my best producing cow who was in good condition had breeding problems, I decided to spend the $60 and do a blood test for minerals, and that told the rest of the story

Latest posts