Copper deficiency?

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
I have read that a red tinged coat on black cattle is a symptom of a copper deficiency. I have 4 heifers and one has a pretty large percentage of hair that is a redish tinge. The other three have minimal to no red tinge to them. I have out lose trace minerals and a mineral/salt block that they have unlimited access to. Do you all think it's a copper deficiency or do you think it is where they are shedding their winter coats. This particular heifer has always had a slight red tinge but since she has began to lose her winter coat it has become more prevalent. Btw these heifers are 3/4 to full angus. If any other breed is in thier bloodlines it would have to be charolais.

Copper requirements are interesting. They confirmed by taking liver biopsies what we knew - - that some breeds and some individuals need more. Look into Multi Min inject able supplement.

Most of the red tinges I see are from Simi or Jersey blood. They seem to need more copper. But, you can also get a consistent red tinge when crossing red and black. Are there red cattle in the back ground? If not, I would try supplementing more copper.

Also, iron is a direct antogonist to copper. So if you're water is high in iron that can affect the cows ability to handle the copper

I considered the iron thing but then I thought that the rest would have a red tinge if it was an iron problem. I'm not sure what all his herd consisted of. I may drive by and take a look.

One should check with their county agent and/or vet to find what minerals are deficient in the local soil. A complete soil test on your particular location should show what you need. In my area we are low in copper and phosphorous. I have seen people sell off cattle due to infertility. I think many times it is just caused because they don't feed minerals.

Black animals show lack of copper moreso than other colors. I disagree that Jerseys need more copper, they like goats don't need as much. In the area where our farm is, has shallow topsoil, and low organic matter. And with the practice of using Ammonia fertilizer, which eats copper, it can have very low levels. We stopped feeding mineral with added copper when we thought it wasn't worth it. My wife has a black pony, her hair turned redish with split ends. We put the animals back on the copper added, the next day she was coal black again.

kickinbull":2too5evy said:
Black animals show lack of copper moreso than other colors. I disagree that Jerseys need more copper, they like goats don't need as much. In the area where our farm is, has shallow topsoil, and low organic matter. And with the practice of using Ammonia fertilizer, which eats copper, it can have very low levels. We stopped feeding mineral with added copper when we thought it wasn't worth it. My wife has a black pony, her hair turned redish with split ends. We put the animals back on the copper added, the next day she was coal black again.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :bs:

TexasBred":2ntkozm8 said:
kickinbull":2ntkozm8 said:

+1

3waycross":199j75ep said:
TexasBred":199j75ep said:
kickinbull":199j75ep said:

+1

+2

Stocker Steve":1dr7byf7 said:
novatech":1dr7byf7 said:
I have seen people sell off cattle due to infertility. I think many times it is just caused because they don't feed minerals.

Have you seen benefits from Multi Min injections ?

Yes, but only when given before calving as well as after calving.

kickinbull":2edtcie6 said:

If your wife's hair is turning red (more likely orange) you have hard water and need a softener system . ;-)

kickinbull":zl0xn3mo said:
I disagree that Jerseys need more copper, they like goats don't need as much.
You're wrong on that one. Jerseys are metabolic nightmares if you don't get the mineral just right. Holsteins are much more forgiving.
I have a jersey customer that likes to change the ration and then see if anyone notices and it's usually cutting out mineral that he tries first. I can usually wait about six months and then go back and show him with his own results where the deficiency showed up.

We run an Angus cow calf operation. Most of our mommas are Angus X. Black Angus and Red Angus are basically the same animal. If you are putting out a mineral with copper then I wouldnt worry about it. Some of our Mommas have a red tinge to their coat most of the year. Also, mommas require more minerals during calving. As long as you are giving a free choice mineral with added copper then dont worry about the redish tint unless it becomes prominent in the rest of yoru herd.

Look into the ingredients in a Crystalyx brand Minerayx barrel. It has copper, and about every other trace mineral needed. I think those trace elements have a lot to do with successful unassisted calving as well as conception/fertility as mentioned above.

Jmho and experience.

Jim

I changed minerals to a southern states 2:1 graze and gain mix and within about two days the red was gone. They are all black as night. The first set of minerals were crap or they just didn't like them.

Latest posts