cooking beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Heart: stuffed and baked or thin slice seasoned dredged in flour and fried

Tongue: pressure cooked and sliced thin for sandwiches

Liver: however the dog likes it!! :mrgreen:

Liver sliced 3/8 inch thick, dusted with a flour/salt/pepper mixture. Fry over medium heat (with bacon grease) until medium (just barely pink in the middle). Liver is best eaten fresh or at least sliced and frozen within a day or 2 of slaughter. It will only kep really well for around 6-8 months before it starts to have a tangy (strong) taste. One of the best cuts off a beef.
Heart and tongue ground and mixed with the burger.

I like heart sliced up and fried the way Dun does liver -- I actually like the heart better than liver. My mother used to stuff heart and bake it whole, and I hated it that way; it was tough.

I've eaten tounge, but have never tackled cooking it myself. The Basques have some way of fixing it with a tomato sauce that is very good. (Dun -- did you ever go to the Basque Restaurant that was somewhere out in the Alpine/Pine Valley area?)

Kathie in Thorp":bsq9236c said:
I like heart sliced up and fried the way Dun does liver -- I actually like the heart better than liver. My mother used to stuff heart and bake it whole, and I hated it that way; it was tough.

I've eaten tounge, but have never tackled cooking it myself. The Basques have some way of fixing it with a tomato sauce that is very good. (Dun -- did you ever go to the Basque Restaurant that was somewhere out in the Alpine/Pine Valley area?)
Nope. As exotic as I got with food was the restaurant on the corner of 2 the main drags in Lakeside

For the tongue you can make it like you would pulled pork. Peel it and clean it well, do an rub EVOO all over it and then do a spice rub, like to infuse it with some fresh cloves of garlic. Triple rap of tin foil on a bed of sliced Valida onions and bbq at 225-250 on indirect heat for about 7 hours, slice it or pull it apart and serve on buns . It is very good.

Use the tail to make oxtail soup, delicious .

Liver I give to my parents or I will slice it thin and dehydrator for my dogs for liver treats.

The heart ,we never ask for . Had it one time when I was younger ,it was stuffed and serve with a sauce ,didn't like the texture of the meat .

simcross":3ltxjvyb said:
What is the best way to fix beef heart, liver and tongue
Best heart I ever ate was cooked on the grill for a few minutes. Have also eaten simply battered and chicken fried. Wife can't and won't cook liver and never had a cow tongue in the house and don't plan to either

We always keep the tongue and heart, not the liver, from all slaughter beef. I usually bake in the oven at 350 for a couple of hours, no seasoning. Then cut up in 1 inch squares.

Dogs love them...... Me no!

Alan

I've always threatened to cook a tongue but my wife is repulsed by the idea. Guess I'm going to have to do it if she ever goes out of town.

Latest posts