converting back to pasture after row croping

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I've found a nice river bottom piece of 44 acres all open and once pasture and used for cattle. But it was in soybeans this past summer. What needs to be done to get it back to pasture for cattle? I have no experience in this and want to know if cattle could be put out there next spring or would you have to wait another year for the grasses that are planted to come back and get established? Would it be expensive to get back to pasture for cattle?

First thing that I would do is to try to find out what chemicals were put on the land for the soybeans.

A fellow here took a place that had been in produce and turned it to pastured. He leveled then no-tilled tifton 9 with rye. Had grass to graze by summer. You could plant pearl millet and what ever grass you want. That way you have something to graze in the summer. By the next summer the grass should be going good. :2cents:

Got a rental field like that 2 years ago. The soil sample was not good but par for the course around here. Had I been more observant I would have seen that the field was almost perfectly level but it seemed to form a very slight bowl shape. Looks like the field had been bulldozed off many years before and the edges piled up. Nice drainage problem. :(
Anyway, take a soil sample and you may also inquire how well the soybeans did. I wish I had done that....

The owner said the soybean farmer used Roundup & Valor. What would need to be done after the use of those two?

Roundup has no soil activity. Look up a label for Valor and see if it has any replanting restrictions. What are you going to plant?

BC":3k23tod1 said:
Roundup has no soil activity. Look up a label for Valor and see if it has any replanting restrictions. What are you going to plant?

I don't have a clue what to plant as I have never done this, I probably won't plant anything cause I don't think I can get the owner down on his asking price. If I get to that point what do y'all think? I guess I should ask the extension agent?

or just use the "FREE" grass that comes up. In a TN riverbottom, you will probably be overrun with crabgrass, bermuda, fall panicum, johnsongrass...etc. All of these are good free, nutritious forages. I would go the first year and see what happens...dont overstock and reap the benefits. Then work on a fall perennial seeding plan.

I'm kind of divided between 'seeing what comes up' and planting summer annuals, like pearlmillet and crabgrass. If I knew I'd get a good stand of 'volunteer' crabgrass and johnsongrass, I might let it go at that and plan to do a fall perennial planting - but you might not get enough to feed many cows if you're counting on whatever's in the soilbank, especially if this field has been cropped & Roundupped for years. And you might just have giant ragweed and horseweeds 10-12 ft tall.
I converted a 45 acre creekbottom field here, that had been in corn/soybean rotation for years, back to pasture about 12 years ago - got NRCS cost-share funding to put in orchardgrass, timothy, red and white clover - and I slipped in some endophyte-free fescue 'on my own dime'. Worked good for a couple of years, 'til we had a drought, and almost all of those turned 'toes-up'. None of those will stand up to drought or overgrazing, timothy never lasts more than a couple of years here, and red clover never hangs in there for more than 2-3 years, anyway.

Now, I wouldn't advise anyone to kill off a good established stand of endophyte-infected KY-31 fescue to plant endophyte-free fescue (I did that, too; a HUGE mistake), but if you're starting with a 'blank slate', as you've described - restoring a clean crop field back to pasture - I'd recommend you consider drilling this field to Max-Q(novel-endophyte) tall fescue, Persist orchardgrass, and a mix of good red clover and a large-leafed white/Ladino clover variety like Kopu II, Alice, or Will. It'll be fairly pricey up-front, but worth the cost in the long run.
Check with your local UT ag extension agent - I know they did some trials with Max-Q and Persist down in Lawrence County - and those performed well there - as they have here.

Did this once. We went with endophyte free fescue and ladino clover. It took two years for the ground to firm up enough from all the previous tillage to support grazing. We established it in the fall and let it go to seed in the first year then started grazing in the spring of the second year. Even then it was still soft and had a lot of damage. Still the roughest pasture, but have a very good stand.

Latest posts