contracted tendons?

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
The calf that I had to pull today was having problems getting up. It's right front leg was knuckling over at the first joint above the hoof. At first I thought that I might have broken the leg during the pull but I am thinking maybe contracted tendons. It will get the leg straightened for a bit but when it takes a step and lifts it's front leg the hoof knuckes under and it hobbles on the fetlock portion. It was having difficulty being mobile enough to nurse so with darkness setting in and 3 hours without nursing I mixed up some powdered colostrum and it drank about a quart. After gaining some strength it got up and was able to latch on to a teat for a few minutes. I went ahead a splinted the lower part of the leg and it looks like it can stand up better and hobble without falling. I will check it again in the morning. I wanted to make sure it got some colostrum and some warm liquid in it tonight. Anyway to know for sure if it is contracted tendons or a break? This was a big calf in a young heifer so I am sure it was in some cramped conditions for a long time.

We have had a similar problem with calves before, only it's usually with both legs (either front or back) and is caused by a selenium deficiency. We give a 3cc/100lbs of Bo-Se and the leg straightens out after a few days. In fact- one of the twins we had born Monday had that problem with his hind legs. I gave him a Bo-Se shot Monday and as of yesterday he was a little wobbly, but walking on his hooves, not his joints. We can also straighten them manually and get them to stand, but as soon as they take a step it folds over again. Hope this helps :D

The cow I put down (unrelated reasons) 2 days ago had really big calves, and some of them had some contracted tendons, though not bad enough they couldn't stand, just enough you'd distinctly notice it in their knuckles. After a few days to a week they stretch and are OK, especially once they start to run. I really doubt there's a break, We had a heifer with a 110 lb bull calf who got hiplocked, and my old man and I were each pulling on a leg and wiggling it around for about 20 minutes and he was fine... Maybe he had contracted tendons too until we stretched them for him. Just make sure that he gets his milk, and that his mom gets up when he does.... he'll be OK.

Thanks Nesikep. I am leaning toward contracted tendons myself. If I see swelling in it tomorrow I might think differently. He should make a great steer so I think it is worth putting some time and effort into him.

Maybe a shot of Selenium/Vit ADE wouldn't hurt him either.
The first calf born at our place was from a guernsey, and he was low on Selenium.. After the shot, my dad mad him some leg braces for this front feet out of leather and tied them on with electrical tape.. it helped him walk around the kitchen... could try a piece of inner tube too, if you could cut it to be a little tight,and 'lace' it up... (bale twine of course :p), it might just give enough support. heck, even some old tensor bandages might work. Once he gets his sense of balance, he'll figure out how to walk

Since only one leg is effected he can still stand ok. I imagine he took up allot of space inside that heifer. He is a long legged rascal.

Once had a Holstein x Ang cow that had a big calf one time, and came out like that at both front knees. He would walk around on his knees and would suck, lucky she was pretty short. Had to go out everyday and work them, and he final got to walking regular after about a week.

Galloway2":1mgz4zks said:
straighten the joint and wrap the joint with vet wrap. A couple days later take the wrap off.
Galloway, that is my plan. I wrapped it with a short splint for now. I will probably remove the spling and re-wrap it tomorrow morning.

sim.-ang.king":2mwvt3oh said:
Once had a Holstein x Ang cow that had a big calf one time, and came out like that at both front knees. He would walk around on his knees and would suck, lucky she was pretty short. Had to go out everyday and work them, and he final got to walking regular after about a week.
I'm hoping this one doesn't take that much work :mrgreen:

We had a set of twins born with contracted tendons a few years ago. The heifer walked out of it in a few days, not that bad. The bull calf was a little worse, so we took him to the vet. Beforehand, we had put on splints and vet wrapped the pasterns. When we got him to the vet, the vet immediately cut them off. He told us they do more damage than good. He gave the calf an IV shot of tetracycline (they do this in horses) and told us to not wrap the feet, he needed to walk out of it on his own. He did suggest some physical therapy by stretching the tendons out several times a day. After several days, the calf was still having difficulty, so the vet prescribed more IV tetracycline. I gave it to him, and within two days he was much better. I guess he just needed a larger dose! The tetracycline relaxes the tendons.
Hope that helps. The biggest thing for us was making sure he got up and nursed. I think there was a thread on here before about it, and I posted pics and a video of the calf trying to walk. He went on to become a very fine bull, many champion titles and has produced some of our top calves this fall and spring! See the Cyto Thaw story about fried semen as to why we had to use a bull instead of AI. :bang:

interesting that tetracycline relaxes the tendons... we don't like using it, but if it has to be it has to be... good thing to know

Nesikep":1k99zh8s said:
interesting that tetracycline relaxes the tendons... we don't like using it, but if it has to be it has to be... good thing to know
It only works if it is given IV, just to note. It is used in horses a lot.

My last one had that on his front left. The only intervention I did was some stretching of the hoof. He got better everyday and by the fourth I couldn't catch him to work the hoof. Took about three weeks and you couldn't tell anything was ever wrong. Hope yours gets worked out quickly!

WYO CB":2zs2jrfg said:
Don't worry I bet he will be getting better by morning.
I took the wrap off this morning. Much, much better. He is walking on it pretty well. Now I just have to get him eating well. Cow looks like the milk is dropping well. I gave him a bit more bottle and he was up trying to nurse again. Maybe the sucking he is doing will drop her milk. It looks like one quarter is filling up pretty good.

I have one big (130lb) steer calf who seemed OK when he was born, but seems to be a little wonky on his front left leg.. Not sure if it's contracted tendons that I didn't notice before, or he maybe got stepped on... I caught him and checked him out, he didn't have anything broken or swollen, and he's trotting alongside mom OK.. Just have to keep an eye on him.. I would guess yours is doing OK on his own by now?

Nesikep":1r7mk5t4 said:
I have one big (130lb) steer calf who seemed OK when he was born, but seems to be a little wonky on his front left leg.. Not sure if it's contracted tendons that I didn't notice before, or he maybe got stepped on... I caught him and checked him out, he didn't have anything broken or swollen, and he's trotting alongside mom OK.. Just have to keep an eye on him.. I would guess yours is doing OK on his own by now?
Yes he is doing fine.

HOSS":1jl6heox said:
The calf that I had to pull today was having problems getting up. It's right front leg was knuckling over at the first joint above the hoof. At first I thought that I might have broken the leg during the pull but I am thinking maybe contracted tendons. It will get the leg straightened for a bit but when it takes a step and lifts it's front leg the hoof knuckes under and it hobbles on the fetlock portion. It was having difficulty being mobile enough to nurse so with darkness setting in and 3 hours without nursing I mixed up some powdered colostrum and it drank about a quart. After gaining some strength it got up and was able to latch on to a teat for a few minutes. I went ahead a splinted the lower part of the leg and it looks like it can stand up better and hobble without falling. I will check it again in the morning. I wanted to make sure it got some colostrum and some warm liquid in it tonight. Anyway to know for sure if it is contracted tendons or a break? This was a big calf in a young heifer so I am sure it was in some cramped conditions for a long time.

I had a purebred black angus bull born bout two and half weeks ago with his left rear just like your talking. Once he got to traveling and trying to run with the other calves it's geting better in a hurry. I also was told not to wrap it and just let him walk out of it himself. B&G

Latest posts