Contract Cattle Work

Help Support CattleToday:

Conagher

Reaction score
Background: Once a year we gather up the herd for annual vacs, de-worming and any other issue needing attention. We have leased pastures with facilities that are not suitable to work the cattle so we haul them to the homeplace to work; then return, or move to calving pastures, weaning pastures, breeding pastures, etc. We have two calving seasons (Spring & Fall) and thus two weaning seasons and collect weights, height, sc on all calves.

I have two teenage sons, and a friend of theirs who have been helping me with this since grade school. Now they do pretty much everything: sorting, hauling, vacs, weights, height, sc measurements; and my oldest son has been doing all our AI for the last couple of years with good success. Last go-around they worked ~80hd, including several 40mi round trips for hauling in less than a day.

Question: Should I try to capitalize on their talents? Do you think there is a need for this type contract work around the East Texas area? Not interested in having them do day labor work (I have plenty of that for them to do). They are pretty well rounded and reliable boys and have built most of my fences and corrals, do tractor work, haying, etc. and the oldest is also a talented welder. But really just asking about the cattle work since they enjoy it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice day!

There is always a market for good help. If they show up on time and are honest they should have more work than they can handle. Plus you would be surprised at the connections that can be made. One day your working their cattle the next you are running their company.

my only question is what happens when one of em gets hurt?

not if.....

when...

that needs to be planned for before some wild cow runs over their back.

Wish they lived around here...I surely could put their talents to goo use if they start on time and put in a fair days work.

Farm them out; lots of small ranchers are in need of experienced help at roundup.

TobyBenoit":2ool3kt8 said:
Wish they lived around here...I surely could put their talents to goo use if they start on time and put in a fair days work.

Farm them out; lots of small ranchers are in need of experienced help at roundup.
Ugh well where are you located.........?

You need to have them prepared for just about anything. You never know what's going to be there on the ranch when you get there. Good dogs along with good help will get you more calls.

My experience from back in the day was that, if someone calls for help, it is a bad situation to begin with. No one with perfect facilities and calm cattle ever gave us work.

Been to a few places where cattle had never seen humans before. Swore to never go back there. They catch and sell what they can. Brush scratches aint bad at all until the salty sweat runs into the scratches all day long. When you go into the brush you are kind of blind to what's in there to begin with. You need good dogs.

You should hook up with the large animal vets in the area. They often need help. They also can give you references when someone calls for help such as what you are offering.

West, central Florida, Kingfisher. Them Texan cowboys won't be much help to me... Experienced ranch hands are rare these days around here and our youngin's are growed up and on to other things leaving me to tackle it all by myself mostly. That really ads up this time of year.

pdfangus":224h5zda said:

not if.....

when...

They could get hurt at school, riding in the car.... or any where else they go. What is different? Alot of us started working cattle and other ranch work at 5, 6, 7 years old.

I am sure there is a lot of demand in your area, I have a freind that used to live in north east Texas and he stayed busy. They will be able to get more work and more money if they have a good set of dogs and good horses and know how to use them. Around here the going rate is $100-$150 per day.

Brute 23":2r5nnpze said:
pdfangus":2r5nnpze said:

not if.....

when...

They could get hurt at school, riding in the car.... or any where else they go. What is different? Alot of us started working cattle and other ranch work at 5, 6, 7 years old.

I have worked cattle all my life as well......
did not say they were not capable....
but things change when you are working someone elses cattle..... for hire.
I am not saying don't do it......
I am just saying that it would be prudent to think about responsibility and liability before something bad happens.
maybe folks are not as litegious where you are as they are here. People round here might sue you for breaking wind. No help for you, if you are working their cows for hire and their cow breaks a leg jumping a fence.

JH_cattle_co":1toptby4 said:
I am sure there is a lot of demand in your area, I have a freind that used to live in north east Texas and he stayed busy. They will be able to get more work and more money if they have a good set of dogs and good horses and know how to use them. Around here the going rate is $100-$150 per day.

So you load up horses,dogs,truck,trailer,pay $4 for fuel,set everything up and work cows the guy that ownes them can't for $100-$150 a day? Might as well just do it for free, cause they need help or you like it.

I'll donate my time to most folks if there in a bind, but I won't hook up the trailer for less than $100, I don't need the practice anymore.

EAT BEEF":dmqdh3ji said:
JH_cattle_co":dmqdh3ji said:

So you load up horses,dogs,truck,trailer,pay $4 for fuel,set everything up and work cows the guy that ownes them can't for $100-$150 a day? Might as well just do it for free, cause they need help or you like it.

I'll donate my time to most folks if there in a bind, but I won't hook up the trailer for less than $100, I don't need the practice anymore.

i agree depending on how far your driving to work for the day 100-150 doesnt do alot after fuel and repairs on a truck. heck we pay high school kids 150 a piece for branding and they usually arent there much more than 4 to 5 hours. If ya think about it and branders get this than a person putting in a days work should get the same plus fuel at the least. they are only working when absolutly needed and not a everyday expense so it is worth more that way since you arent paying them on payroll plus workmans comp insureance and some of their taxes. that being said there are some people i just help out because they need the help and would help me back. but this is how i make my living as well working for hire when most poeple need it so i usually get paid 20per hour plus fuel. i have a 150/day min. plus fuel to make sure its worth messing my day up to go do it. rarely ever though do i get people when working cattle have less than 12 hours or better of work from start to finish. also at the 20/hour you woulnt believe how much fencing and haying you can pick up as well.
also they should have a plan for when someone gets hurt or how they are gonna have medical insurance. i am as guilty as anyone for not going to doctors for a broken bone but a rib and fingers arent big deals if i broke my leg i would have to go. this kind of stuff can very easily happen when working someone elses cattle. i am sure alot of people can attest to how easy thier cattle are but put a new person in the corrals and they are completely diferent not to mention most of the time people calling for help with thier cattle alot of times is because thier cattle are wild and they cant to it on thier own. (otherwise with 2 poeple that the cows are used to can sort and load anything they want in a timely matter with a decent corral) just my opinion though as i am not down south there so dont know what the work load is but generally ranching is ranching and no one usually keeps more help than what they need and usually do it on thier own if they can.

It only takes a few minutes to hook on to a trailer and load up animals. If I have to travel very far arrangements are made for the owner of the cattle to pay for fuel. Most of the time when we go work cattle for someone there are 4-5 of us, sometimes more. Also we typically work 2-5 days. If these ranchers were paying 5 guys $200 per day for 3 days thats $3000, alot more more than most folks are willing to pay. I just day work here and there, it's not my main source of income. Most people do this type of work because they enjoy it, not to make alot of money.

JH_cattle_co":1v4gs4ak said:
It only takes a few minutes to hook on to a trailer and load up animals. If I have to travel very far arrangements are made for the owner of the cattle to pay for fuel. Most of the time when we go work cattle for someone there are 4-5 of us, sometimes more. Also we typically work 2-5 days. If these ranchers were paying 5 guys $200 per day for 3 days thats $3000, alot more more than most folks are willing to pay. I just day work here and there, it's not my main source of income. Most people do this type of work because they enjoy it, not to make alot of money.

it is alot of money but it is alot cheaper than keeping the amount of hired hands working year round you would need for a couple jobs a year that last only a few days. worth alot of money to have the right kind of help when needed without having to keep them year round instead of just getting who ever is available and will work just to try it out. ask anyone who just had some work buddies or friends come help with cattle. someone who dont know whats going on only makes the job 10x's harder and more dangerous. im sure the whole country heard my wife naggin about me needing to go get knee xrayd can prove this from jsut today.

Thanks folks. I really appreciate everyone's reply; a lot of good input.

Sounds like maybe I should just keep them busy here – which will not be difficult. One will be heading off to college this fall anyway. The primary reason for starting this post was their inquiry if I thought they could make some spending money doing this type work so I told them I would ask around.

I wanted to emphasis they are not "cowboys" – no horses or dogs; just some fairly decent young men that enjoy working cattle. The only wild cow chasing they do is when they chase one off our place. Though the oldest had a tasted of it working at the sale barn one Saturday when one ran him down. Last round here we had one get a bit rowdy in the corral (and to be honest she has always been a bit high-headed since I bought her a couple years ago). But this time the boys had enough and loaded her in the trailer and informed me she was headed to the sale barn. I was able to successful negotiate a reprieve until she calves this month, but after that the boys will ensure she's gone.

Thanks again and have a nice day!

Oh Kingfisher , Van Zandt County.

******* I am new to this page ( today as a matter of fact) .. however I stumbled upon this page by accident trying to LOOK UP PLACES TO WORK CATTLE FOR FREE. - Go fiqure. Several of my friends and myself have worked cattle and rode horses for many many years. My kids were FFA /4H we did heading/heeling/breakaway/barrels/Penning/Sorting all sorts of things. There are NO Places around NC that have cattle to work. Tried USTPA, AQHA and a bazillion other places,...apparently NC is 'western Pleasure' and "Hunt-seat country"..not exactly "working horse friendly"..
That being said, I decided to look online and saw this. I can tell you- us "regular" people that don't have the several THOUSAND dollars a week per person to go on "cattle drive dude ranches " would jump at the opportunity to work cattle in return for just like a meal and a bedroll. We are not a bunch of idiots out there yee hawin' all the weight off the cows. We know how to work a herd slowly ..perhaps the American Dude Ranchers Assoc. and some of the cattle ranchers are missing a huge opportunity in having "free" help come in @ brandings, sortings, and round ups, they need to find people that LIKE doing it - that don't usually get the opportunity to do so. Just mentioning..

*********PS.. looking for a few calves to practice boxing/cutting/rollbacks etc.. in our arena at the farm - somewhere realtively close to Raleigh NC - and hopefully working types- we had some angus someone gave us free to play with last yr. They don't hold up well to heat and being worked with the black fur etc.. need something rangy- like roping cattle// corrientes' longhorn crosses -- something like that .. thanks :cboy:

I'm new to this board as well 4kfarms and I live in middle Tennessee. I'm in the mortgage business but have a real affection for farming and ranching. In fact, a few weeks ago I called a customer of mine who I know raises cattle and volunteered to spend a day or two helping him on his farm the next time he needs a hand.

Latest posts