Contest - 'Hand'

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
This month we have to take a pic of a Hand or Hands. Thought this may give you some ideas -

The hand is the most frequently symbolized part of the human body. It gives blessing, it is expressive. According to Aristotle, the hand is the "tool of tools." In general it is strength, power and protection. However, it can just as easily mean generosity, hospitality and stability; "lend a hand". It is used in gestures of greeting and friendship (shake hands).

Hand gestures vary in symbol: laying hands on something - blessing, consecration, transference of guilt, healing; raising one's hand - to swear, honesty; hand on heart - love, adoration, salutation; two hands clasped - peace, alliance, friendship; hands at side - negligence, arrogance (on hips); with water - purification, cleanliness, innocence.

According to Cooper, Quintilian says, "The hands may almost be said to speak. Do we not use them to demand, promise, summon, dismiss, threaten, supplicate, express aversion or fear, question or deny? Do we not use them to indicate joy, sorrow, hesitation, confession, penitence, measure, quantity, number, and time? Have they not the power to excite and prohibit, to express approval, wonder, shame?"
Wikipedia

To add to Wikipedia...we create, we work, we play, not to mention Braille and Sign language. We type and announce photo contests and chat about cattle :compute:. Hands could be clean, dirty, greasy, smooth, tanned, old and wrinkled, young and soft, gnarled... Quiet amazing if one thinks about it :nod:

The deadline for entries ends on 22 July 2018 24h00, the voting poll will be held from 23 - 31 July. All entries to be submitted via personal message to alisonb. The winner will be announced on 1 August. Please read the rules before entering...you may submit your pic in Black & White or Monochrome which could be very effective for this subject.

Looking forward to the entries :D

Could also be "Farm hand" like someone's right hand man... Or woman...Not many can use the excuse they didn't have a subject for this contest.

ohiosteve":2q5pypnl said:
Could also be "Farm hand" like someone's right hand man... Or woman...Not many can use the excuse they didn't have a subject for this contest.
That's what I was thinking. I could just take a picture of myself because I'm a farm hand. Or maybe on of my employers kids helping me around the farm?

Farm girl or farm woman.....
Yes, the poet Carl Sandburg once said:
for I have seen the farm girls standing by the mailbox luring the city boys...

Oh wait, I have that all wrong... :lol2: :hide:

greybeard":1qvm3tmp said:

Yeah, the farm boys by the mailbox seem to scare all the city girls!

Nesikep":dcxyjq8y said:
greybeard":dcxyjq8y said:

Yeah, the farm boys by the mailbox seem to scare all the city girls!

t13499-141-19660309-0.jpg

alisonb":2p5hc0hb said:
Only two entries received so far :eek: . C'mon folks, this is a fantastic theme...
My first idea- drawing a fake tattoo on my hand with a magic marker- turned out stupid- so going in another direction - something real this time.

alisonb":2tp43ai0 said:
Please read the rules before entering...you may submit your pic in Black & White or Monochrome which could be very effective for this subject.

Some of you may have missed this in my initial post ;-)

Latest posts