Contest 8 - 14 April "Insects...."

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
We are looking for pics of insects and spiders in any stage of metamorphosis this week. Eggs, larva, pupa or cocoon, adult stage etc.

The contest will run from 8 - 14 April, the voting poll from 15 - 21 April. All entries to be submitted via personal message to hillsdown on or before 14 April. The winner will be announced on 22 April.

Best of luck with the creepy crawlies!! :D

Had to google them Sim, they are striking looking spiders.

There must be spans of butterflies and moths flying around enjoying spring :D

They have to be morphing???? Can't be just laying back on a limb enjoying a smoke and a drink? :mrgreen:

No insects here yet , spring is on hold for some reason .

Getting some fantastic shots submitted already ! This is going to be a tough one to pick a favorite . :D

hillsdown":1ccrwj8a said:
:? Same here! The insects are a bit smarter than the Canadian and snow geese who came back to Mn and are now standing around on the ice wondering where they are going to lay their eggs. I will be interested to see what people come up with!

We've got some bugs that have come out here already, but they aren't gonna photograph very well.....after they have been smashed to keep them still for their closeup............but I'll try.

angie":353dvtg6 said:
hillsdown":353dvtg6 said:
:? Same here! The insects are a bit smarter than the Canadian and snow geese who came back to Mn and are now standing around on the ice wondering where they are going to lay their eggs. I will be interested to see what people come up with!

Cow birds are finally back here , but no bugs yet . Thank gosh , we have enough of them in the summer months . Supposed to get another 3-5 cm's of snow tonight and more snow every day this week with 10 cm Sat. :yuck: A big mucky muck out there, but my calving areas are pretty dry compared to the house yard 3 more gals to go and they are all ready to pop anytime now then calving season 2013 will be finished . Kinda of strange calving so late in the season as we usually would be done by the beginning of March . I sure did not miss middle of the night checks though because of new born calf freezing temps.

No snow flees Alison but then again I am not looking for those disgusting things either., :lol: I also have the unfair advantage of seeing everyone's entries , and there are some amazing shots being submitted so I am not even going to try to get a bug pic for you . :p

I saw a Giant Waterbug in the pine bark mulch under a blueberry bush this afternoon. Didn't have my camera with me and meant to go back later with the camera but forgot. I'll see if he's still there tomorrow.

You really should advertise for entries for a little longer, I don't have my pictures with me (and I have lots of them of insects), I don't know if I'll be able to get them submitted in time.

We have some HUGE wasps, that really like onion and mint flowers (they're about 1" long, and really alert, they've never been aggressive to us), we have lots of Jumping Spiders (Salticidea), which are amazing to watch at hunt, they stalk a fly like a cat stalks a bird, and they pounce at lightning speed. We have some really interesting beetles.. metallic green ones are particularly spectacular. We have millions of lady bugs, and we have some really small bees that are metallic green and metallic blue. I'd certainly have material for this one

I actually got pictures of them morphing just for TexasBred but I can't get photobucket to let me upload them. :mad: It's even classy pictures of morphing since he took her out to dinner first...
Oh well, someone else will have to be the loser this time.

cow pollinater":ckqztucd said:
I actually got pictures of them morphing just for TexasBred but I can't get photobucket to let me upload them. :mad: It's even classy pictures of morphing since he took her out to dinner first...
Oh well, someone else will have to be the loser this time.
Email them over cp, I'll load them and send them in for you

rockridgecattle":2o4jimyx said:
Missed the deadline but I thought I would post my bug pic. Just cause I like it...look at her hands

I kinda want to pet it , look how furry she is . Too bad it is late and the voting has started already , such a great pic RR . :tiphat:

While you're doing "missed the deadline, but..." I wish I'd remembered this one:
moth3.jpg

Wow, those two pics would have given the Mantis a run for her money!!!!

What is that 'thingy' Putangitangi and why does it look like it's on a blanket??? :shock:

Latest posts