constant chewing

Help Support CattleToday:

Castleman Creek

Reaction score
Hello, :wave:
I have a 10 week old Holstein bull calf that appears to be chewing or making the motion of chewing all the time, when its laying down mainly.
Does this mean anything?
I think it might have some depression aswell. :???:

Thank You
Billy :D

Does it look like he's chewing his cud? Our calves start acting like they are chewing their cud even though they don;t have one at about 2 weeks of age.

Could it be grinding its teeth rather than chewing. That could go along with the "depression" indicating pain or illness.
I too have seen them "chewing" that young, in addition to salivating. So they are doing something.

I see calves that are two weeks old eating grass/hay all the time, so they chew their cud pretty soon in life.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2fwmy9o1 said:
I see calves that are two weeks old eating grass/hay all the time, so they chew their cud pretty soon in life.

My first born of this year has been watching her mom and is chewing on grass and running with a mouthful shes not 2 weeks so not sure what shes doing with the hay so soon.

I probably should know this, but what is cud? :D

As far as depression, I say this because it is not as alert and active as the other calve it was raised with (angus calve), although it has always been this way. It does run around with the other calve and rub heads, but just not as alert as the other is why I say depression. I think I will try and catch him tomorrow and give him something. With the info I have given what would you do?

Thank You
Billy :)

I don;t know the fancy name for it, but the cud is the feed material that ruminants regurgitate so they can chew it finer. They act of ruminating is chewing their cud.
If I just had to do something, I would take his temp then practice benign neglect unless he has an elevated temperature

I have calves picking at leaves of hay before they're a week old, Most are chewing cud at 3 weeks. They learn from momma, now I'm going to guess this calf is a bottle calf? It takes them a lot longer to learn, and he probably figured it out a while back, now he's got cud to chew.

Never hurts to take their temperature, but I don't think you should be giving it anything just yet. I'd say it's about time he started chewing :)

So this morning I walk out and check the calves and he is breathing faster and had a rocking motion with it, and a caugh also. I suspect pneumonia?
So I gave him a shot of baytril, about 3cc. He weights about 150lbs.

He does sound like he's not feeling well.. pneumonia is a likely suspect.

150 lbs at 10 weeks doesn't sound like he's been doing well for a while.

No, I was not able to get a temp, my thermometer did not want to work. I will be buying a new one today. Although this morning he is a lot more active, alert and head butting the other calf. He might weigh 200lbs, I not a good judge of weight. What should a 10 week old holestien bull calf weigh?

Latest posts