congrats to James Coffelt, Ohio land and cattle.. front page of ohio farmer!

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
Congrats James! Doing great! Wish you still posted.

To sum up the article..

Cow costs: 296 / year.

Hay : NONE in the last 6 years.

Running 1,000 head of cattle

Buying up 1,000 / acres per year for the last several years.

Running 8,000 / acres of land continuous.

Maybe someone should let him know that NO profit exists in cattle. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

TennesseeTuxedo":6kcv8qns said:
I liked him. Why did he leave us?

Congrats and best wishes for continued success Mr. Coffeit!

i think he got tired of everyone bashing pharo's genetics.. not sure though.

It says his cows average 1100 - 1200 lbs and give 62 - 67 lb calves with only 2% varying from that.

i'd like to check out his operation and his cows.

I don't know for sure but I don't think he is hooked up with pharo anymore. pharo used to have a bull sale in ohio and now they don't. There may have been a parting of the ways.....may be somebody can verify that knows more.

I don't remember him posting. Only person I can remember not feeding hay was agmanto.

Banjo":3hu9ftes said:
I don't know for sure but I don't think he is hooked up with pharo anymore. pharo used to have a bull sale in ohio and now they don't. There may have been a parting of the ways.....may be somebody can verify that knows more.

i was wondering about that. I haven't seen his bull sale advertised, and I haven't seen anything about a spring bull sale. On his website he doesn't mention pharo at all other then some genetics from him. also, I noticed he was #2 in registered angus for last year in ohio and he wasn't even on the top 10 list this year.

pharo was probably taking too much money. who knows.

Bigfoot":s0dpybw5 said:
I don't remember him posting. Only person I can remember not feeding hay was agmanto.
I visited his place. He got bad hurt on an ATV. Not doing well at all. Have not heard from him in over a year.

HDRider":22r7425t said:
Bigfoot":22r7425t said:
I visited his place. He got bad hurt on an ATV. Not doing well at all. Have not heard from him in over a year.

Ouch. Hate to hear that. I do some of his stuff. Needed to pick his brain a little more though.

Ok I read the article and I see that he has a very low cost per head, but here is my question. So it mentions that he has about 1 cow per 10 acres of land and that allows him to feed basically no hay. So right now I would estimate that I need about 5 bales to get one cow through the winter. One bale $40. So $200 in hay per cow per winter. If I wanted to get rid of this once a year hay expense I would have to buy eight more acres per cow. Cost in my area $3500 an acre. Cost for eight more acres $28,000. I know land normally goes up in value, but a $28,000 investment to make $200. Am I missing something or might the marketing of his cattle and getting a better price be more of the reason he has been able to expand.

Yeah I was figuring the per acre cost as well and it was very high

poorfarmer":2pvthttg said:
Ok I read the article and I see that he has a very low cost per head, but here is my question. So it mentions that he has about 1 cow per 10 acres of land and that allows him to feed basically no hay. So right now I would estimate that I need about 5 bales to get one cow through the winter. One bale $40. So $200 in hay per cow per winter. If I wanted to get rid of this once a year hay expense I would have to buy eight more acres per cow. Cost in my area $3500 an acre. Cost for eight more acres $28,000. I know land normally goes up in value, but a $28,000 investment to make $200. Am I missing something or might the marketing of his cattle and getting a better price be more of the reason he has been able to expand.

Yeah, I'm missing the economics of it to. Hay is cheaper than even rented land.

Wish they had better pics. For 1000 cows and 110,000 dollar working facility, they show 50 head and maybe 1000 dollars of gates.

Bigfoot":1ed9muke said:
poorfarmer":1ed9muke said:

Yeah, I'm missing the economics of it to. Hay is cheaper than even rented land.

If I recall correctly he does a pretty big business with his hunting business too.

Latest posts