Confusion at the sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

J&T Farm

Reaction score
We sold 19 calves and 2 cows yesterday at the salebarn. The hauler came and picked up the cows, then my husband went to the sale about 1 hour later. Well it was a big sale and they were still in line to unload. Ther was a huge line and they started tagging the cows in the trailers to try to speed things up. Well they only showed us selling 20 head. They had a black cow missing from the ticket. Then they said they found our missing black cow and they would fix it. He called them this morning to see and they said they had it fixed. well they put a char. cow on our ticket he told them both of our cows were black. So they are still trying to figure it out, said to call back tomorrow. Do you think they will figure it out? I think this happened because they were tagging them on the trailer. They have been nice about it, and we really like the salebarn.

Stuff happens. I can't see how they do as good of a job as they do. I'm sure they will make it right to suite you even if they have to make up some numbers for you. Its a shame someone has come forward and told them they got paid for too many.

J&T Farm":2d12rosu said:
We sold 19 calves and 2 cows yesterday at the salebarn. The hauler came and picked up the cows, then my husband went to the sale about 1 hour later. Well it was a big sale and they were still in line to unload. Ther was a huge line and they started tagging the cows in the trailers to try to speed things up. Well they only showed us selling 20 head. They had a black cow missing from the ticket. Then they said they found our missing black cow and they would fix it. He called them this morning to see and they said they had it fixed. well they put a char. cow on our ticket he told them both of our cows were black. So they are still trying to figure it out, said to call back tomorrow. Do you think they will figure it out? I think this happened because they were tagging them on the trailer. They have been nice about it, and we really like the salebarn.
the question right now is how meny tag # was on your ticket when you got it.there was supposed tobe 21 tag #s on your ticket.so i woder if they just flatout missed writing a tag # down an descp of the cow.sounds like they are gonna slide 1 by you.

something like that happened to us a few years back. this was when the angus tags were just starting to break into our area. gotta say i was never so glad to tag an odd colored tag before then. finally found all our calves and they got sold. I should say this happened at 3 am in the morning the sale started about 9am almost 18 hours earlier. 2500 head of cattle. Gald we were there.

Well we aren't mad, the sale was big for them 2000 head, they usually sell about 900. They had alot more problems some calves were dying on trailers waiting to be unloaded. Some trailers were to crowded, ours stayed in line 4.5 hours but they had enough room.
They got a tag on her they just didn't get it wrote down. But the hauler knew that there were 2 black cows and 19 calves. But hopefully they will have it worked out. My husband stayed to make sure they got off the trailer ok but then he had to leave, we figured it would be ok from there. we usually stay and watch them sale but just could't this time, really wish we would have though. Might have caught the problem then.

Wow, it shouldn't take 4.5 hrs to unload cattle, even if they unloaded 2000 in that time, which I doubt all 2000 head came in at once. I can't believe calves died in trailers waiting to be unloaded???? There had to be something else going on with them.

Well they had some trailers that were to closed up and way to crowded and it was very humid . They did back empty trailers up to the trailers the calves died in and unloaded about 1/2. I don't know why it was taking so long.

Always load at first light and haul ar$$ to the sale barn. unload early and sell your calves early.

Yep we usually do that but we couldn't haul that many so we called the salebarn at 6:30 that morning and they said we were the first on the list but they didn't show up till noon.They had our 21 head on a 32ft trailer so they had plenty of room and were ok.

While I agree it's ridiculous that you had to wait for 4.5 hours to unload, I also think it's the responsibility of the cattle owner to make sure they have enough room on the trailer. I think it's pathetic that someone loaded their calves so tight they died on the trailer. Even if they had gotten unloaded earlier, that's asking for unhealthy calves for the next owner. IMO...

Thats whats nice about being a brand state-- brand inspected into the yard before selling- and brand inspected out after selling...And the Stockyards count better match the inspectors talley- or they find out why it didn't...

TheBullLady":3h1gdkmt said:
While I agree it's ridiculous that you had to wait for 4.5 hours to unload, I also think it's the responsibility of the cattle owner to make sure they have enough room on the trailer. I think it's pathetic that someone loaded their calves so tight they died on the trailer. Even if they had gotten unloaded earlier, that's asking for unhealthy calves for the next owner. IMO...

I agree totally irresponsible.

GMN

Latest posts