Coneally: Favorite Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

CreekAngus

Reaction score
Let's lighten up the commentary around here. Who is your favorite Coneally AI bull and why?

For me, I got two, Lead On and Danny Boy. Lead On, just made them right, no spectacular epd's, just made really functional cattle. Danny Boy, I used him on some heifers and young cows and was a no miss wonder. Every heifer born was wide topped, docile and a keeper. For me Danny Boy was undervalued. I do have a third place bull, Packer, who I never got to use, but I've seen his line continue with Crouthamel Protocol.

Consensus 7229, He's the one in their lineup that I've given serious thought to next spring.

So many good ones to like.... Not saying he's the best, but I've always been partial to
Coneally Reflection 14528330
very nice feet, average milk, average size cows with decent udders, just well balanced cattle
older genetics as grandson of both EXT and 036 so he's just middle of the road by today's standards.

Capitalist's are short, with bottom 15% milk yet top 15% $M so he must be doing something right.

I like my 7229 cows also. Don't have a ton of them, but I liked them enough I bred a lot of cows to him this spring. I've heard some people mention lest than desirable feet from him. So far I haven't noticed that in my herd, but I'm watching for it.

Connealy united 1116 is another bull I really like. He has to be used correctly, but his calves have been awesome. Oldest daughters are raising their second calf, so take that for what it's worth

Like impression, reflection, mentor, and capitalist. Got to give it to 7229 though. Never seen any progeny that I didn't like, and he's got a lot of daughters and sons out there so that's saying something.

The only reason I can't get behind the use of reflection or capitalists in my herd is I'm trying to raise marbling scores in my cows. I Still think they'ld make a solid improvement around here.

I dont remember why I didnt like Hoover Counselor when I looked at him last, but i'm pretty sure his EN number was -40ish.

Lbass said:
The only reason I can't get behind the use of reflection or capitalists in my herd is I'm trying to raise marbling scores in my cows. I Still think they'ld make a solid improvement around here.

I dont remember why I didnt like Hoover Counselor when I looked at him last, but i'm pretty sure his EN number was -40ish.
Connealy Counselor does have a -25 EN and his CEM is -2. I have talked to Hoover angus about his daughters and cannot find where there has been any issues with them calving. I have also spoken with a big outfit in S.Dakota that used him and they bragged on his calves feed efficiency. Not sure how they can be really efficient and have such a low EN number? They did say that some of his calves were a little hot headed.

Had some Lead On calves one year, liked them pretty well. Never had any but always liked the Consensus calves I saw at registered sales.

Seems like I'm always drawn to connealy bulls. They seem to be a little less extreme sometimes. (aside from CED and BW being low). My pieced together sale barn herd will have their 3rd set of calves this fall, am I'm trying to build good genetics to grow from. In other words, pretty heavy on maternal characteristics. I have some heifers from a Prophet son, out of angus and angus/Hereford cross cows, that I bred to Capitalist. They look really good, and I think the calves born this year will be a really good base layer herd building. Capitalist/prophet + some Hereford influence.

This is a heifer out of Comrade. She isn't very big, they definitely aren't the fastest growing. But she's extremely docile, and good depth/width of body.

This heifer is out of one of my favorite cows. She's got some hereford, but she's built very correct she she's always in the middle of the herd. I almost forget that she's there. So she never needs extra pushing or direction. She's got good feet, great udder. So I'm excited about a capitalist calf out of this one.

I'd have to say Impression but you all have heard that from me before. I'm interested to see what the Commonwealth daughters look like. Jerry has that look in his eye when I ask him.

Anyone used Uptown? Thinking about using him or Impact on some of my smaller framed cattle this fall.

How are the udders on the capitalist daughters? I thought I read somewhere he didnt seem to improve udders. It's been awhile, so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Anyone put him in 7229 daughters? I like moderate cows, but I worry about them getting too moderate

Bcompton53 said:
Anyone used Uptown? Thinking about using him or Impact on some of my smaller framed cattle this fall.

I got an impact daughter. Really docile , a lot of frame and milks really well. Her calves have weaned the heaviest the past few years

T & B farms said:
How are the udders on the capitalist daughters? I thought I read somewhere he didnt seem to improve udders. It's been awhile, so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Anyone put him in 7229 daughters? I like moderate cows, but I worry about them getting too moderate

I would rate Capitalist breed avg. for udders. My oldest are 4 yrs. old.

76 Bar said:
but she's built very correct she she's always in the middle of the herd. I almost forget that she's there.
Hallmark of a good cow. ;-)

Yeah, I never have to push her into the chute, or chase her down, and she doesn't run me over when I have feed in a bucket. Perfect!

Latest posts