cone shaped bale feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

DRB

Reaction score
I'm still looking for the cone shaped feeder mentioned in this forum last year...I can't find one in the internet...I heard that TSC had them but I haven't seen it online...My cattle sure waste a lot of hay more so since my feeders are getting old...before I but new ones, I's like to find the cone shaped ones...

I was thinking the same thing today, if you find it would you pm me ? Thanks.

The best, in my opinion, cone feeder is made by J & L Equipment and Manufacturing in Stoystown, PA 814-893-5086 it is called the HaySaver.

I have six of these. They are made of heavy pipe welded together and the skirt is made of 1/8 inch plate steel. They are extremely heavy and you need a good sized front loader to handle them. They will last a lifetime. Two people can not budge these things. I bought mine last year before steel went through the roof. A friend and I bought a whole tractor trailer load to cut down on shipping costs - we are in GA. At that time they were $625 each- included the shipping.

I recently priced a regular hay ring with a cheap skirt at Tractor Supply and that thing was $250 - abosolutely no comparison and not a cone feeder.

You can see them on my website
http://www.sellfarm.com/farm_pictures.htm

It goes without saying, however I will. You need a front loader to place the bale into the cone.

Bill :cboy:

We tried a couple of those black PVC bale feeders and they've worked well for us...the bull who plays with everything can move it around when it's getting empty, but hasn't damaged it at all (yet?)...easy to move back too.
Gale

G&L, we've gotten ours at Southern States...not sure if you have them where you are? I'll try to find the mfr. name somewhere in our paperwork....

Yes, thanks Texan, that's it! We have three and so far nobody's gotten their heads stuck in them. What I like is that I can move it by myself when I have to, by hand. And now that our two adult bulls have been sold, it's amazing how much hay we're "saving."

Well, that is very nice of you Frenchie. Happy New Year to you and to everyone on this board.

Billy :D

MrBilly,

First off.... GREAT WEBSITE ONLY OUTDONE BY YOUR GREAT LOOKING OPERATION!!

With all the great looking pastures you look to have there... and your obvious success with the J&L feeders... What's your methodlolgy of balancing pastures vs. feeders... hay cost, rotation, time of year?

Thanks... Richard

MrBilly,

First off.... GREAT WEBSITE ONLY OUTDONE BY YOUR GREAT LOOKING OPERATION!!

With all the great looking pastures you look to have there... and your obvious success with the J&L feeders... What's your methodlolgy of balancing pastures vs. feeders... hay cost, rotation, time of year?

Thanks... Richard

=======================
Richard, Thanks for your nice comments. WE work very hard at this enterprize and I guess it is begining to show?

We use rotational grazing in 7 acre plots (separated with electric polytape and crossfencing), when the grass is growing the cattle are moved when there is an average of 1/2 of the grass consumed - the number of days varies with the size of the herd on it at the time, the moisture, etc. It is not always possible to rotate at 1/2 of the grass being left, but it is the goal. This past year we have been blessed with rain.

We have one feeder for each plot and where possilbe we try to have one feeder at the border of two plots so it can be entered from either side - cuts down on expense of feeders. Each feeder is on a pad of geotextile fabric covered by crusher run gravel. This still gets very messey in the winter, but at least the cows are not up to their "knees" in mud. All of our hay is produced on the farm. It runs about $25 per roll - I think. I haven't figured for the last year. But, we have someone contract bale for us and then we add in the cost of fertilizer and lime.

As for the pastures, I think it helps that we have clover in all of them so that puts nitrogen into the soil, plus it is good nutrition. We still soil test every year and add K and P as needed, as well as lime. We still have weeds, mostly horse nettle. Since we do have clover there is no herbicide that can be used that will not also kill the clovers, SO the wife and I spend many hours spot spraying with Grazon. It is either that or kill and start over, and that won't work since there are always seeds left from the previous years.

Billy :roll:

PS

During the winter rotational movements are much slower because there is little grass growth. When it does occur a move occurs.

Billy