Conception rates

Help Support CattleToday:

Stephanie

Reaction score
Sorry for such a newbie question but curious if there has been any studies on ...

Conception rates for semen deposited within the vagina. Considering timing is
Optimal, and all other factors ideal.

Thanks

Every time we have deposited semen in the vagina instead of the uterus we have had zero conception. This is for animals, for what ever reason, we could not get through the cervix and opted to dump in the vagina versus squirting it on the floor.

I have had two take from depositing semen right at front of cervix. Generally speaking though it's not going to work out very well as so many are lost in the fornix, then in the rings of cervix so not enough if any make it through to be effective. You have to remember a bull will flood her and also supply enough fluids for them to swim in. If you get a straw and empty it you actually only have about three drops of semen in the whole straw! That is for a quarter cc straw.

You would have to be very, very lucky to get a pregnancy. I have had a couple of heifers that I have not been able to get through the cervix but new I was part the way through and placed it there. To my surprise both of them never came back on heat in 3 weeks and produced a calf on time to the insemination.

Ken

I have found that if you can not get completely through the cervix on heifers, you do not lose a high percentage of conception as long as you can deposit at the last ring before the uterus. the farther away you get, the lower your chance of conception. If you deposit outside of the cervix, you have about a 0% chance of conception. generally cows are easier to get through once a calf opens things up a bit, but cows can also have more scaring in the cervix; which lowers conception if you do not get completely through the cervix. their is probably an official study out there somewhere.

Thanks y'all.

I thought I saw a study somewhere. I know if it's anything, it'll be low to nil due to retrograde loss.

Stephanie said:
Thanks y'all.

I thought I saw a study somewhere. I know if it's anything, it'll be low to nil due to retrograde loss.

I am sure there would have been studies, just finding it is the trick. A vet i used to use told me when he was working the big cattle stations he would be doing hundreds of inseminations every year. He and another technician, for a period of time, wrote down each cow and where they put semen. Then when doing follow up preg testing wrote down results. He said on over 400 cows the conception rate was exactly the same if they put semen in uterus or could only get in cervix. He never mentioned a result if they couldnt get into cervix at all, that would have been very interesting.

Latest posts