Compound bow questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
I haven't spent enough time with my oldest boy hunting this year so he has not gotten a deer yet. He has been trying to hunt by himself with a longbow (he's pretty hardcore) but obviously it would take a fair amount of skill and luck to get one close enough. I would like to get him a compound bow as an early Christmas present. He is 14 and a hoss, and I'm not made of money.

I know nothing about them, if it's like everything else, a lower end one will give 90% of the performance of a high end one so I'm going that route. The question is, do I go get him a new Bear whatever? for around $300 at the sporting goods store, or something used like this PSE?

http://westky.craigslist.org/spo/5320990971.html

Any advice appreciated, I don't know anybody that bow hunts really. I've shot traditional archery for years but don't know the first thing about picking a compound.

I bought my sons bow for $100 used. I don't think the resale value on them is very good at all. I think its a PSE. He killed one with it.

Without knowing the history on a bow I wouldn't buy used
Cracked limbs or old strings aren't always visible
When a compound bow explodes a it's a BAD DEAL !
They keep getting faster it seems
A new lower end bow may be faster than a used high end bow
I have a diamond made by bow tech and no complaints
I can use the same pin for 20 and 40 yards
Virtually no drop between the two

Cross-7":3vm20jky said:
Without knowing the history on a bow I wouldn't buy used
Cracked limbs or old strings aren't always visible
When a compound bow explodes a it's a BAD DEAL !
They keep getting faster it seems
A new lower end bow may be faster than a used high end bow
I have a diamond made by bow tech and no complaints
I can use the same pin for 20 and 40 yards
Virtually no drop between the two

I don't know much about bows, but he uses one pin. Seems to be the same out to about 35 yards.

Dang I need to take the Used bow I bought 25 yrs ago back then. If you buy from a bow shop or buy from an individual take it too a bow shop. They can restring and check the bow. IMO the lastest and greatest bow is nothing more than a way to take your money. and you can buy one from a knuckle head that has to have a new one every yr fairly cheap. You can find them mamas boys pretty easy cause they got a yeti sticker in the back class and a whip antenna but does not even own a CB.

last bow I bought was a matthews switchback with pendelum sight. I also agree if you do not know bows a used one is not the way to go bows can be dangerous if not in tip top shape as stated. I would look at bass pro or dicks sporting goods and find some pretty reasonable beginner bows. I think if a sporting goods store is near by you should take him to get measured and see what kind of bow suits him best.

Having a bow fit the shooter is critical to being comfortable and accurate. He's going to keep growing, so a bow with a large amount of adjustments will be best. There's nothing wrong with 99% of the used bows out there, but without a good understanding of them you won't be able to see any issues until it's too late. I'd find a reputable pro shop where you can go and ask them what they have for a growing teenage boy. When you go, have a good idea of his height. Ideally, you could take him and they would measure his draw length, but that's probably not feasible for a Christmas present. There's also a chance they'll have a used bow that will work, and you should be able to trust that they've gone over it well. As mentioned, used bows don't hold their value well, you can get a 2 year old bow for a few hundred bucks ($800+ new). There are a variety of bows on the market that will work. Not that I'm a Mathews fan myself, but they make a really nice bow for kids with no real draw length, but it sounds like he may too big for that. Don't worry too much about brand, all of the major brands make a good quality bow. And don't let them talk you into one of the high priced bows, because he WILL grow out of it in a couple years.

Kell-inKY":b8xguk9v said:
I haven't spent enough time with my oldest boy hunting this year so he has not gotten a deer yet. He has been trying to hunt by himself with a longbow (he's pretty hardcore) but obviously it would take a fair amount of skill and luck to get one close enough. I would like to get him a compound bow as an early Christmas present. He is 14 and a hoss, and I'm not made of money.

I know nothing about them, if it's like everything else, a lower end one will give 90% of the performance of a high end one so I'm going that route. The question is, do I go get him a new Bear whatever? for around $300 at the sporting goods store, or something used like this PSE?

Any advice appreciated, I don't know anybody that bow hunts really. I've shot traditional archery for years but don't know the first thing about picking a compound.

That bow is a $600 bow and not a bad buy. It will be far superior to a new $300 bow. I would have no problem buying a used bow that I could look at first.

M.Magis":2myth280 said:
Having a bow fit the shooter is critical to being comfortable and accurate. He's going to keep growing, so a bow with a large amount of adjustments will be best. There's nothing wrong with 99% of the used bows out there, but without a good understanding of them you won't be able to see any issues until it's too late. I'd find a reputable pro shop where you can go and ask them what they have for a growing teenage boy. When you go, have a good idea of his height. Ideally, you could take him and they would measure his draw length, but that's probably not feasible for a Christmas present. There's also a chance they'll have a used bow that will work, and you should be able to trust that they've gone over it well. As mentioned, used bows don't hold their value well, you can get a 2 year old bow for a few hundred bucks ($800+ new). There are a variety of bows on the market that will work. Not that I'm a Mathews fan myself, but they make a really nice bow for kids with no real draw length, but it sounds like he may too big for that. Don't worry too much about brand, all of the major brands make a good quality bow. And don't let them talk you into one of the high priced bows,
because he WILL grow out of it in a couple years.

Winner winner chicken dinner. A properly set upped and tuned bow is the only way to go. And a bow lesson isn't a bad idea either.

I quit bowhuntin about the time the really fast bows started showing up.
My last bow was one of the Matthews solocam. It gave me fits. I could shoot my old bear whitetail hunter(slow as a snail) much more accurately. Until I dropped a hundred to have the Matthews tuned and spend many hours shooting it. The fast bows are way more unforgiving if something is just a little off. I'm sure they have gotten better. I still own both bows, if I was going to go hunting tomorrow I'd grab that old bear.

I've been into compound archery for awhile now and just picked up a Mission. If you want great quality with a low price tag,look up Mission. They're a branch off of Mathews and the best bow I've shot to this day! I have the Hype DT,but the Craze is an excellent buy also. As someone mentioned earlier,he is growing and needs an adjustable boe to fit him properly. Take him to your local archery shop and it doesn't have to be a Mission,but is absolutely has to fit him. Just like a pair of new boots: if they don't fit what good are the fancy looks guna do for you? If the bow doesn't fit your son,speed,looks,and big brand names aren't guna do aaaany good. Just get him one that fits and good luck!!

Also,the Mission Craze and Hype will grow with him. Both you and him alike could pick it up and shoot it,with adjustments. The draw weight is from 15-70 pounds and the draw length from 22"-30" I think? Check 'em out for more details.
http://missionarchery.com

Kell-inKY":qwkimz9h said:

Unless your son is 6'4 a 30'' draw is way to big and since he's only 14 he's gunna grow I would get a bow that has adjustable draw diamond and mission both have bows that will go from 22''- 30" draw and 40-70 on draw weight

The Bear Apprentice II is a very good starter compound has like 10 inch draw adjustment to grow into.
Poundage is like 40 to 50 pounds,I bought one for myself a couple years ago. Adjusted the draw length
so I could shoot sitting down with my back issues standing got to be an issue. I have been impressed as I have taken
a few hogs with it. It comes in a ready to hunt package just add arrows.

I have a lot of high dollar bows and I think this a very good youth, woman or old wore out old man bow
for the price.

They have the 3 version out now

http://www.basspro.com/Bear-Archery-App ... ID=vantage

Latest posts