Composite Decking

Help Support CattleToday:

chaded

Reaction score
We are probably going to do redo our porch next year and so I am doing my research now. Do any of you have any experience with composite deck boards? The porch is 1500 square foot so I was looking at something to cut down the maintenance.…

We are probably going to do redo our porch next year and so I am doing my research now. Do any of you have any experience with composite deck boards? The porch is 1500 square foot so I was looking at something to cut down the maintenance.…
I believe that is what my brother-in-law replaced theirs with. From what I e heard it's supposed to be much more durable and long lasting.

No firsthand experience but I've heard good things about it as well. it's not going to swell and shrink with water and sun, so that goes a long way already

I don't have any of the composite decking but have heard that it gets hot to walk on and tends to sag depending on distance between joists. It is very heavy weight wise compared to wood. And much more expensive. And will outlast wood compared to today's wood treatment methods and chemicals. Look at aluminum decking. Shaped like "boards" and light of course. Here is one of the companies that makes it:

I should add that this porch has a roof as well. Sun does get on the deck some but its not all day under the sun and getting rained on.

I don't have any of the composite decking but have heard that it gets hot to walk on and tends to sag depending on distance between joists. It is very heavy weight wise compared to wood. And much more expensive. And will outlast wood compared to today's wood treatment methods and chemicals. Look at aluminum decking. Shaped like "boards" and light of course. Here is one of the companies that makes it:
I did a project with the aluminum decking years ago. Makes a nice looking deck, but kind of costly.

When we bought our ranch we built a front porch 76x12 and used composite flooring. This was 20 years ago and there has been no visible wear on the composite. A board of composite weights about twice as much as regular lumber. Yes, it is expensive but in the long run it turns out to be cheaper. No problems whatsoever.

It does get too hot to walk on and it is slick. Very slick when wet or has snow on it.
We had some at another house, this house has wood decks and we have to redo them every 3 years, but we decided to keep them. It's not that hard to redo them.

Chaded said "I should add that this porch has a roof as well. Sun does get on the deck some but its not all day under the sun and getting rained on" so maybe he won't experience what we did.

Oh yeah, the sagging part too, we had that so be careful it has enough support.
Good luck!

We just had ours refinished in composite last spring. Actually, because the price of lumber skyrocketed, there was essentially no price difference. There is a little sagging between joists, but I love it!! Love it so much, I bought all new composite deck furniture (Polywood). Haven't noticed whether the deck gets hot because I'm rarely barefoot, but the furniture doesn't seem to - although, when it's in the 90's - 100's, can you really tell? Easy maintenance!!!!!

I have had a early version. Kinda a prototype you might say and it was horrible, but I understand it is much better these days

I did replace some composite decking a several years ago for someone. It completely deteriorated, but it was in a place that got allot of water from the sprinkler; I think it got wet and never could dry out. I'm not sure how long it had been there before I replaced it. I think the newer stuff is allot better now.

I built my deck out of the composite decking from Home Depot about 20 years ago. It has held up great and looks like the day I put it in. You do have to put the supports closer together, but that was in the instructions. I'm surprised anyone has had trouble with it. I haven't noticed it any hotter than wood decking. When it is 100 out it is hot, but so is wood.

I had some left over pieces I kept in the barn in case something got damaged. I pulled them out recently and compared it to the decking and there was almost no sun fading. If this had been a wood deck I would have had to replace it at least once, if not twice.

Built my rear deck and front stairs with Trex, ten years ago. Still like new.. Central Florida with much rain and sun. Balcony deck on barn done six years ago with PT 2x6/8...needs replacing.

We put in a deck with composit a few years ago. It does get hot, but we put down a piece of fake grass and we can walk on it barefoot. We love it, and have a nice fire ring out on it to sit and enjoy fall evenings with a small fire while watching the sun set.

Attachments

• 16655814036083475854526257852906.jpg
    16655814036083475854526257852906.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
Had someone put in a new west side front porch 12 years ago that gets a LOT of sun on it. It is some kind of composite - maybe Trex? Still looks almost new, is solid and strong, and have had no problems at all with it to date. Porch post pillars are wood and have had to paint them twice plus fix some rotten spots along the way. I like the composite stuff if installed correctly.

Latest posts