Composite bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
Have any of you known anyone to use a composite bull (black baldy for instance) on a cross bred herd of cows and do any good?
I was asked that question the other day, about my own herd, and I just told them I have only used full blood bulls, and have never considered using any other. Made me wonder though.

Virtually all of the Balancer and Simangus and Limflex bulls go onto crossbred herds every year. Not sure what you are asking.

Do you mean 3 or more ways crossed bulls. I know a fellow who raises something like that. They are sorry lookin as he[[ but i have seen them throw some great calves.

Would you considering a F1 smokey (Charolais x Angus) bull as a herdsire? I saw one for the sale on Craigslist and he looks good.

3waycross":lp9c1kpb said:
Virtually all of the Balancer and Simangus and Limflex bulls go onto crossbred herds every year. Not sure what you are asking.

Do you mean 3 or more ways crossed bulls. I know a fellow who raises something like that. They are sorry lookin as he[[ but i have seen them throw some great calves.
No, I was meaning like a double cross bull on no more than double cross cows.

Limomike":2660u7l7 said:
3waycross":2660u7l7 said:

I wouldn;t use one unless the breeding was more stabilzed with more then 50% of one breed. Too many variables shrown in the mix. Even iwth that I would want it to be something that there was more of in the cow herd so that at least that breed would be more dominant. I've seen some great black baldies used and some of the calves were really good, but a like number were not very good to just plain poor. My neighbor keeps all his heifers and usually uses a cross bred bull. His herd has gone down in quality over the past 10 years and I lay it at the feet of his crossbred bulls, of course his inferior cows that he has developed also enters into it.

I wouldn;t use one unless the breeding was more stabilzed with more then 50% of one breed. Too many variables shrown in the mix. Even iwth that I would want it to be something that there was more of in the cow herd so that at least that breed would be more dominant. I've seen some great black baldies used and some of the calves were really good, but a like number were not very good to just plain poor. My neighbor keeps all his heifers and usually uses a cross bred bull. His herd has gone down in quality over the past 10 years and I lay it at the feet of his crossbred bulls, of course his inferior cows that he has developed also enters into it.[/quote]

That right there would be the biggest concern I would think. Plus the fact that over the years, the overall quality would go down.

Limomike":3mhpege8 said:
3waycross":3mhpege8 said:

Double cross.......as in 3way cross on 3way cross cows. I wouldn't do that. I would however put a balancer bull on Angus/Herf baldies. I would do that for sure.

However if given a choice I would rather use a purebred Gv bull on those same baldies.

3waycross":3ji663o0 said:
Limomike":3ji663o0 said:
3waycross":3ji663o0 said:

Double cross.......as in 3way cross on 3way cross cows. I wouldn't do that. I would however put a balancer bull on Angus/Herf baldies. I would do that for sure.

However if given a choice I would rather use a purebred Gv bull on those same baldies.
I know a man here that used Limflex bulls on baldies. They run 300 momma cows and have some outstanding calves.

OakCreekRanch":320qy56x said:
Would you considering a F1 smokey (Charolais x Angus) bull as a herdsire? I saw one for the sale on Craigslist and he looks good.

I noticed one (or what looks like one) showed up in a guys pasture a couple months ago. He's using him on Longhorn and LH crosses. I though it was a weird combination but we'll see what the calves look like later on.

There's a couple of farms that have baldy bulls in with Angus cows around here.

slick4591":3uxce4ht said:
OakCreekRanch":3uxce4ht said:

I noticed one (or what looks like one) showed up in a guys pasture a couple months ago. He's using him on Longhorn and LH crosses. I though it was a weird combination but we'll see what the calves look like later on.

There's a couple of farms that have baldy bulls in with Angus cows around here.
Are you sure they aren;t black herefords rather then just baldys?

I wouldn't. I have noticed that a gentleman here in town, has an ultra black bull on some crossbred cows. He sells some big calves. It's still not something that I would pursue. I am going back to raising my own bulls. The only pure bred cows that I have are brangus. I guess I will AI them to anything with brinks in the name, and hope for a few decent bulls.

slick4591":111a70j8 said:
dun":111a70j8 said:
Are you sure they aren;t black herefords rather then just baldys?

Can anyone ever be sure? :lol:
I know what my black baldys are. Theyre 1/4 red angus (black in some cases) either 1/4 Gelbvieh or Simmenthal and 1/2 Hereford. Even some of the red baldys are the same breeding.

slick4591":2wi4wwew said:
OakCreekRanch":2wi4wwew said:

I can't imagine what colors will be on the calves when they get here. :shock:

I don't understand what is the point of using a smokey bull as a breeding bull?

OakCreekRanch":1uenvl2z said:
slick4591":1uenvl2z said:
OakCreekRanch":1uenvl2z said:

The Charolais is about the best bull to put on a LH to get a solid colored calf.

Limomike":19dapcij said:
Have any of you known anyone to use a composite bull (black baldy for instance) on a cross bred herd of cows and do any good?

Been there, done that, and the calves were not very consistent. I think some of the black is beautiful breeders feel a little guilty about all the straight bred funnel butts so they go half way with a black composite bull. I am told a 1/4 continental and 3/4 angus calf is great in the feedlot - - but you are talking about black mutts.

piedmontese":18neuidg said:
OakCreekRanch":18neuidg said:
slick4591":18neuidg said:

The Charolais is about the best bull to put on a LH to get a solid colored calf.
I agree, a Charolais bull is best bull for the LH cows. You'll get a yellow skunk or a yellow roan calf occasionally but it's almost always 100% solid colored calf crop every time from what I have seen.

I hope Slick will let us know when the calves get here.

Stocker Steve":3t9q92z5 said:
Limomike":3t9q92z5 said:

Been there, done that, and the calves were not very consistent. I think some of the black is beautiful breeders feel a little guilty about all the straight bred funnel butts so they go half way with a black composite bull. I am told a 1/4 continental and 3/4 angus calf is great in the feedlot - - but you are talking about black mutts.

Commercial guys have been buying SimAngus and Balancer bulls like a son of a gun for last 5+ years. I can sell them easier than a PB so they must be working for somebody.

I guess I'll know out it works for me about this time next year as I started a composite Sim/Angus bull on my Simmental and Sim/Angus cows this past Dec. First calves hopefully start coming in Sept.

fitz