Coming Full Circle

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
Its funny how thing change with age. Right out of college I started working as herdsmen for a neighbor. Twenty years later I still manage his cattle. There is 39 years between us. Things that we used to do that I cussed and dreaded twenty years ago I now find myself now suggesting we do.
He has a Gehl hydraulic driven 5 bar hay rake. I HATED that thing with a passion. Double windrowing hay all day in the sun took for ever! On the older tractors the trannies would get hot. The loader tractor was always busy doing something else.
It seemed like all the neighbor's had V rakes why couldn't we.
Well we finally wore that old rake out. Got a Kuhn SR110 five years ago. Absolutely love it. . . Until this spring. The hay first cutting was so heavy that the wheel rake just floated over it. I went over 20 acres twice just to get in windrows that we could round bale. We adjusted about everything we could, but no help.
So I found myself dragging that old wore out blanked e blank Gehl rake out of the weeds. The boss said it needs to be in the junk yard. I figured it gets one more chance. So todays project in between rain showers is to see if I can make it work again.
My son is nine and starting to really work with me. I find my self smiling when he gets frustrated or complains about doing something. He went into a five min rant the other day telling me how stupid it is that we put up a temporary hot wire around corn stalks for the cows to winter on, just to take it back down five months later. I just smile and try to explain. At nine years old I would have hated it to.

Latest posts