Come on Morganza spillway!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
It's been on the news, but the Mississippi is higher than I've ever seen it. I drove to check on my parents at daylight, and crossed the spillway bridge. The water is only about 3 or 4 feet from topping he levee. Scary high. They corps of engineers were sandbagging. At the control locks of the spillway itself I counted 30 state troopers, at least 6 or 7 humv's with national guardsmen carrying rifles.

It boils down to this for all who live south of Morganza along the Mississippi:

If they open the spillway gates, then it will lower the mississippi, and relieve the pressure on the levees. The actual spillway locks were built back in the 30's or 40's in Morganza,LA to be available to relieve pressure for Baton Rouge if the river ever got to 1927 levels again. The last time the locks were opened was 1973. A very long time. They've closed traffic, and should be opening the gates soon. If it goes well, everything will be alright.

If they do not open the Morganza spillway, the river will top the levees south of Morganza. One of the lowest levee spots is right next to downtown Baton Rouge. There are some people who live in the actual spillway (not many), and I feel for them having to evacuate, but the spillway was built for a reason, lets open that puppy! I live roughly 3 or 4 miles from the river the way the crow flies.

The river has put so much pressure on the levees that were having boils spring up and leakes through the levees that have to be sandbagged closed.

I know the people up river from us on the Mississippi are used to floods, somewhat, but the way the levees are built here (VERY HIGH), and the way the control locks are built (to open to relieve pressure), we really dont have floods down here much. My grandmother lived through the 1927 flood. She told me stories of everyone stranded on levees living in tents. It was so bad then that people were trying to dynamite the opposing levee (If the levee on the other side of the river gives, then someone else floods, not you). Tough times. She said they had national guardsmen patrolling the levees with shoot to kill orders.

Hopefully we'll get some good news soon if the Morganza locks can work.

Its was to open at 3 pm. Hope y'all stay dry an I sure feel for those in it's path but that's what happens with the river, you have to be ready for it. An hold on because we are still at almost record levels, there is plenty more comeing your way.

Now thaty they have opened the spillway does anyone think that gas and fuel prices will increase more due to the refineries possibly being affected? Also with the high water on the Mississippi is there a chance that tankers will be delayed bringing in curde? Just trying to brace myself for the impact.

2 gates open now, everything appears fine. At full capacity, the spillway can release 600,000 cubic feet per second, or enough to fill a football field 10 feet high every second. I've been driving over this structure all my live (La Hwy 1 goes right over it), fishing and hunting around it, but you don't give it much thought until something like this happens.

My only concern is that it's 80 year old technology. In 1928 (after the flood of 1927) the corp of engineers stated construction on the system of levees and spillways that still control things to this day. The Morganza spillway was built in the 50's, and only been opened once in flood need.

Most of the locals here are at almost panic stage because the main levee along the river is leaking in areas, and boils (imagine a big water fountain 3 feet high) are popping up. If the main levee breaks on either side, millions of people will be flooded. I almost laughed yesterday when the governor stated that they wanted to open the gates slowly to allow the wildlife time to evacuate the spillway. Sorry sir, but I'm not concerned about the wildlife. Not a good feeling to have your boat gassed up in case you need to put your family in it to live (all without telling them so they won't get nervous)

My dad and mom are 70, live about 30 miles north of me the opposite side of the spillway. Felt very weird yesterday making sure his boat was full of gas and would crank. Imagine visiting your parents and your last words with them were "O.k. dad if you see water starting to rise throw mom in the boat quick and head north" Very strange send off.

Wishing you folks a good outcome from this mess. May God bless and keep you safe.

Wasn;t morganza the overly endowed woman that used to run out on baseball fields and kiss the players?

There is still lots of water coming your direction from the north...Several rivers in Montana still above flood stage- and expected to remain high for sometime due to the higher than normal snowpack in the mountains...

Locally they opened the spillways on Fort Peck Dam (Missouri River), for the first time since 1997, because the Lake is so high and they need to make room for all the runoff....

You know fisher, every year (spring) the Mississippi goes way up because of the snowfall melt up north (although rarely this high). That would be a good idea to divert some of the flow to Texas. They sure need it. There is a control structure that diverts a percentage of the Mississippi into the Atchafalaya. I'm sure a canal could be built to carry some of that over to Texas and help. On the map, though, we're about even with Houston, so I don't know how much help it would bring to the really dry areas of Texas. Maybe pull the water from father up the Mississippi? It's not like you'd have to go through mountains, we're way flatter than Morgana.

By the way the spillway is doing fine. I took the family across it yesterday. The opened traffic once they felt the structure was safe. 4 gates open yesterday evening, and it was an amazing sight. Huge fish jumping everywhere, and it looked like rapids you'd see in Colorado, but way bigger. Should take the water 3 days to reach the gulf.

Well I'am glad its working out for you cypressfarms. Some of my friends had to evacuate, and have no idea what they will find when they get back home if they have a home. Their families have live there since the late 1800's. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone, Good Luck to the LeBlancs and everyone else involved in this mess to save the cities.

Latest posts