Colostrum value

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
From Dairy herd alert, Cow Calf Advisor. I would think the importance of colostrum would be as important to beef calves:

Colostrum worth $423 per gallon
Everyone knows it's important to feed colostrum to calves. But what is the value? Jerry Olson, technical services veterinarian with Pfizer Animal Health, wanted to find out, so he reviewed all of the research on the topic. He calculated that the collective value of feeding 4 quarts of colostrum in terms of reduced mortality, reduced treatment cost, improved rates of gain and larger-size calves at breeding and improved milk production suggests that one gallon of colostrum is worth about $423.

That was some good "cypherin" on his part.. I bet the calves think its worth more than that! :lol:

Wow- you always read all the benefits/non-benefits of timely colostrum - but to put a value of $423/gallon on it is amazing. Makes that $8 bag of powdered stuff pretty cheap. Or the time it takes to strip out a herd cow.
Good info!!!
Dun, could you email me the article. Might put it in my newsletter. Thanks.

Having raised, or attempted to raise, literally hundreds of sale barn bottle baby holstein bulls that were denied colostrum w/in the first few days of life, all I can say is, Oh Yeah! And, when those calves were going for almost $100 a calf, well, I think you can see what I'm saying...especially after all that was spent on electrolytes, probios, scour medicine, nuflor, excenel, draxxin, banamine, tubing equipment, man hours, labor, on, and on, and on....

Alice

Latest posts