• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Color question...

Help Support CattleToday:

redcowsrule33

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 18, 2008
Messages
921
Reaction score
0
Location
Wisconsin
Your bull carries one or two copies of the brockle gene. Common in solid colored breeds and dominant in expression.
 

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
11,627
Reaction score
154
Location
Central Upstate New York
redcowsrule33":2wgvhe6g said:
Your bull carries one or two copies of the brockle gene. Common in solid colored breeds and dominant in expression.
:shock: never heard of a Registered Angus bull carrying a brockle gene???
Whether they get any white on their face, feet, tail will come from the cow only. Angus can carry some white on the udder to the naval area.
 

Nesikep

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
16,025
Reaction score
133
Location
Lillooet, BC, Canada
I'm just speculating here, but a bull could have the brockle gene, you'd just never see it without something that would have a white face to start with... I'm not saying that's what's happening here though. I've had Brockles from Herf x Angus, Herf x Saler, Herf x Gelbvieh, so it's not sounding like it's coming from the bull, but rather from the cows.. Seems to have always been a bit of a tossup with what you're going to get on a Herf x Solid.. some will be baldies and some will be brockles, even with the same mating repeated.. I've found solid calves rare from a high% herf cow, you'll get them from the F1's though.

Pair of sisters, Herf momma, on the left is SH sired, on the right is Saler sired
 

Coosh71

Well-known member
Joined
May 1, 2016
Messages
456
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas Panhandle
But what is the likely hood of theses cows( coming from different herds/genetics ), all carrying whatever it is causing solid/brockle calves?
 

ALACOWMAN

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
16,917
Reaction score
11
Location
Alabama the Beautiful
Dogs and Cows":3lxh1pk5 said:
I have a small herd of Herefords...and run a registered Angus bull over them...I expect my calves to be black baldies...they are not. Some are solid black, some have small patches of white on forehead or chin...1 was a brockle face. Is there a reason my bull is throwing such a strong black streak in the calves? These cows are from different lines...so they have different backgrounds...it is coming from the bull. Thanks all!

Tim
I take it the cows are purebred...
 

Muddy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 9, 2015
Messages
2,611
Reaction score
19
Location
Cold place!!!
Are your Hereford cows purebred or registered? Sounds like they're not purebred Hereford based on the solid calves you have.
 

Ky hills

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 4, 2016
Messages
2,728
Reaction score
82
Location
Clark County, KY
I am suspecting that it is coming from the cows. I have some commercial Hereford cows that look like what I would consider to be very high percentage if not pretty much purebred. They consistently have had calves with white faces, sometimes with a little black spotting around the eyes or on the face. Then some of the cows that were bought along with some of them, are more solid colored except their faces, what folks used to call rednecks. They consistently have solid black calves or almost with very little white on their faces at all, when bred to Angus bulls.
 

Randi

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2016
Messages
324
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
The White Face gene comes from the HEREFORD. It is incompletely or co-dominant.

The Brockle gene comes from the ANGUS. It is fairly common in a lot of solid coloured breeds. Angus, Red Angus, Shorthorn. Not as common in the Hereford breed, but it is in there.

Brockle gene puts the markings into the white areas on the animal, generally face and feet. The brockling gene is Dominant.

The brockling can range from only small spots in the white,



to looking almost like a solid color, with small spots of white.





We had one born last spring, and the only white was a small spot under her chin.

Had a heifer calve, last year also, that I thought was solid red with a brockle faced calf (she has a very few white hairs on her forehead)

 

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
11,627
Reaction score
154
Location
Central Upstate New York
Randi - love all the color on G-55. Never heard of solid colored cattle carrying the brockle gene.
Is this your blog: http://easygenes.blogspot.com/
You are correct about the spotting gene is recessive. You can have a solid black or red cow bred by a solid black/red bull and get a spotted calf because both parents carried the spotting gene and BOTH passed it on to the calf.
But, a Purebred Angus bull does not carry the spotting gene (he isn't PB if he does).
But, here is a report supporting that all solid color breeds carry the brockle gene (which is a dominant gene). Scroll down to #45 at top of page. Very interesting. I haven't read it all yet, but I saved it on my computer.
 

Randi

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2016
Messages
324
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
Jeanne, yes, that's my blog. Haven't looked at it for a while, lol...

If you meant to put a link in your post, it didn't come through.
 

frieghttrain

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2016
Messages
785
Reaction score
2
Location
south/east MN
Randi":3rez40x6 said:
The White Face gene comes from the HEREFORD. It is incompletely or co-dominant.

The Brockle gene comes from the ANGUS. It is fairly common in a lot of solid coloured breeds. Angus, Red Angus, Shorthorn. Not as common in the Hereford breed, but it is in there.

Brockle gene puts the markings into the white areas on the animal, generally face and feet. The brockling gene is Dominant.

The brockling can range from only small spots in the white,



to looking almost like a solid color, with small spots of white.





We had one born last spring, and the only white was a small spot under her chin.

Had a heifer calve, last year also, that I thought was solid red with a brockle faced calf (she has a very few white hairs on her forehead)

2nd picture black brockle front right hoof what happened?
 

Randi

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2016
Messages
324
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
frieghttrain":2ykw4epp said:
[
2nd picture black brockle front right hoof what happened?

We had that claw amputated. When she was 2, she got an abscess in that claw, and the only way to make her sound again was to amputate. She is 7 now.
 

Randi

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2016
Messages
324
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2u7kdnsr said:
But, here is a report supporting that all solid color breeds carry the brockle gene (which is a dominant gene). Scroll down to #45 at top of page. Very interesting. I haven't read it all yet, but I saved it on my computer.

What are you referencing here? I did get that link for my blog.
 

Latest posts

Top