Cold temps and wire?

Help Support CattleToday:

kjerckie

Reaction score
I'm ready to have 4' field fence wire pulled over 500'. The posts are 4" rounds set in concrete every 10'. I've been told that if you stretch it in the cold temps, it will sag and become loose in the warmer temps. Is this true? Should I wait? Thank you.

Depends on how cold it is now and how tight you stretch it. We've pulled fence tight in the summer and had it pop when the temps got down around zero for long periods.
Stretch it now, just be aware you may have to retighten it in the summer

dun

Thank you dun,
I'll get it done now and tighten later if needed. Our temps at night are low 30's high 20's.

dun":1synhyam said:
Stretch it now, just be aware you may have to retighten it in the summer

dun

That's where Jake's wire tightners come in handy! :D I finally ordered some of those from Valley Vet and got to use them a while back for tightening and splicing some old barb wire fence. They worked well, and now I'm a believer. Gonna have to order some more.

TXBobcat":14utdbdn said:
That's where Jake's wire tightners come in handy! :D I finally ordered some of those from Valley Vet and got to use them a while back for tightening and splicing some old barb wire fence. They worked well, and now I'm a believer. Gonna have to order some more.

I've found that I'm using them a lot and not straining to get the wire as tight as I used to. They sure are a work saver, patience and blood pressure helpers too.

dun

We stretched a quarter mile of barbedwire this summer with the block and tackle and the pickup... that's now my favorite stretcher! you can go inbetween the posts and climb on the wire like it's a panel, not that I advise it but you can do it...

Tehy're handy as a pocket on a shirt, but make sure get the tightener handle.

dun

Latest posts