cocsidiosus

Help Support CattleToday:

blood in their stool and they just aren't right
just add Corid to the water - no big deal and it clears it right up

You can get corid at a feed store, at least that's where I got it.

Alice

Coccidiosis: Treat with "Corid".

Available from "good" feed stores, Vet Supply Houses, Veterinarians. Usually costs around $60 to $75 a gallon, depending where you buy it.

Is a 5 day treatment regime for quickest results. Is put into the cattle's only source of water during treatment periodl

Instructions are on the container.

Running Arrow Bill":13xlg60r said:

Available from "good" feed stores, Vet Supply Houses, Veterinarians. Usually costs around $60 to $75 a gallon, depending where you buy it.

Is a 5 day treatment regime for quickest results. Is put into the cattle's only source of water during treatment periodl

where are you buying it for $60 - I know I paid a lot more than that - might be worth paying shipping
Melanie

personally i use cocci-bolo tabs. Minis for scouring calve and full size for cocci in 600+ lb calves. They work well have sulfa and astringent. Black from the activated charcoal works really well.

If you are working with these calves, PLEASE wash your hands well. It is very contagious, and it is no fun to have the scours yourself. Trust me! :mad:

rm987":3n5wmu6d said:
what about an injection

I don't know of any injection, I asked my vet the same thing last year and he told me that you need to treat it orally. You can also get Corid in a crumble which is what I used to treat most of the time. If they get to the point that they are not eating or drinking then you will have to pump it down them. The one that was the worst our vet treated with electrolytes, corid, sulfamyacin boluses and banamine injections. We lost him anyway. From my limited experience with it, once they get that bad they are hard to save. If I see anything that looks remotely like coccidiosis I will start the whole group on the crumbles immediatley and if there is anything not coming to the bunk I will sort them off and pump them with the liquid corid and electrolytes.

mdmdogs3":32ew7tbo said:
Running Arrow Bill":32ew7tbo said:

where are you buying it for $60 - I know I paid a lot more than that - might be worth paying shipping
Melanie

I was quoting a "range" of prices I've seen it for in stores, online catalogs, over the past couple of years. I think one or more online places have free shipping. Bottomline: if you need it, you need it, regardless of the price.

Also, I think it is advisable to treat ALL animals within a given pasture or group when you treat one that is suspected of illness.

Coccidiosis is caused by two types of ptotozoa, Elmeria and Isospora.
Cattle might not show sighs of infection for 3 to 8 weeks. Signs of infection are: foul smelling, dark and watery feces, slight fever, thin bloody diarrhea, feces with streeks or clots of blood, even muscular tremors and convulsions.
Treatment includes, good hygienic practices, various combinations of sulfa drugs, and prevention drugs such as Amprolium, Deccox and Bovatec.

Mama_Mutschler":1156hs4o said:
In California you have to buy Corrid from the Vet. They are not allowed to sell it in feed stores.

can you buy it online? KV vet sells it and probably a bunch of others - might be worth checking - some vets choose to use meds to make money

Latest posts