Coccidiosis

Help Support CattleToday:

Valbazen works great for tape worm, we use it at weaning every year then follow up three months later with decomax. As far as Coccidiosis we do the water treatment if we suspect we have a problem.

Good luck
Gizmom

It could be Cocci which is a "pain", but it could be something else too.
We hauled a heifer to the vet for a preg check and before the check in the trailer was bloody poop. I asked the vet why this happened, as I had seen other animals have bloody poop after hauling. The vet said that some animals when stressed will poop blood. He never gave an explanation why stress causes that to happen, but I have seen it before in cattle that have been hauled.
This Vet has been around for alot of years, so maybe there is truth to what he has to say.
You said this calf had just been moved, so maybe it isn't Cocci, but it doesn't hurt to check.
Nite Hawk

Yeah, it is coccidiosis. The little calf was weaned and moved and im sure it stressed it out, making it multiply. They treated her and she is fine now! Our vet was supposed to get back with us so we could give our calves all something in the easiest way that will knock out everything. He says boluses are what we need for the cocc. But it will be a week tomorrow and he still hasnt gotten back with us. Kinda aggravating. I'm going to get some corid or some boluses just need to research and see which one to use on calves for the coccidiosis. Any ideas on which to use??

If the calves are weaned Corid in the water is easiest, otherwise you have to drench them daily for five days, unless you want to let the cows drink it too, which won't hurt them but a greater expense. The boluses I thinkare probably long-acting sulfas, but there are a few drawbacks to this. Sulfa boluses aren't a labeled use for coccidia (the feds are getting very picky about this if there is an available product that is labeled for the intended use) and they only they are coccidiostats, not coccidiocidal like Corid, meaning that Corid kills the bugs instead of slowing them down. Static products usually need to be administered over a longer period of time to be effective against coccidia, so for it to really work you would have to re-bolus the calves several times anyway, again off-label. So I personally would go with Corid.