Cob corn grinding and mixing

Help Support CattleToday:

Ohrmundt Simmentals

Reaction score
My Dad and I are getting a NH 353 grinder mixer. Found a decent deal and had been looking since we got a picker cause we couldn't combine our corn. I'm just for import on ration mixes for growing heifer and bulls 600-900 lbs right now. We haven't figured the exact numbers yet but I'm think of just adding some protein supplement, mineral(complete or trace?), and some dry molasses. Also for the grinding it self and particle size. Do you really want the corn/cob to be a powder like flour or do you just need the corn to be a little more then just cracked. I've read a couple of other posts on this but just wondering if anyone had and some other info.

Thanks

I wish we still had the corn picker and extra land to raise some corn.
Back in the day we made feed from crushed corn, ground the corn, cob and shuck. We used the largest screen. Not sure the size.
My grandfather added minerals, molasses and some cotton seed meal. Now and then he would mix beet pulp or cotton seed hulls.
The cows loved the feed and did well.

jerry27150":1kju478t said:
sounds good, I used a 1/2 or 5/8 inch screen

+1. IIRC, the screen I used was probably 5/8. You want to crack the corn good. You don't want to make flour.

Boy, that brings back memories. I used a Case DC belted up to a JD hammermill staked down on skids!

I have a 357 new holland. I use the 1/2 screen to grind cob corn for the cows and a 3/8 screen for the calves. I find that the 1/2 screen will let alittle whole corn kerrnels though and doesn't grind the cob as fine. The cows don't mind it but the calves will sometime will short out the bigger cob pieces. I usually just mix in soy mill to up the protein because it is the cheapest way around her to get the protein levels up. U could use DDGS if they where cheaper were u live or maybe corn gluten. But soy mill is the cheapest way here. If u had some good quailty alfalfa hay u could use that also. I don't mix in salt or minerals in my feed because that will eat up the grinder In no time I just feed that by its self

That's a good point about not putting salt/minerals. The animals get decent mineral 24/7 anyways. We also dont plan adding a whole bunch of stuff just keep it simple. It only comes with one screen. I think it's 3/8 maybe 1/2" hole. My dad thinks he can make one at work. We just need to get it home and take a look.

Thanks for the imput. Any others, send them over.

Thanks

The screen that comes with it has either 3/8" or .50" dia. holes. Not sure how it will grind until we try. If we want another screen and can't find used ones my Dad think he can make one at his work that will have different hole size. Thats all.

Hope you have a pull type picker, tractor mounted pickers can be so dangerous.
I remember back in the day so many old farmers with missing fingers, or worse from running tractor mounted pickers.
Had a neighbor, heck of a nice guy but a bit of a slow learner. Ear of corn got hung up he reached in next thing you know... snapped his hook clean off. :)

Yep, we found a NI 2 row narrow pull type picker with the 12 row husking bed. It's in pretty good condition. We had to replace 4 bearings when we first got it but not a big deal. It runs really good and does a nice job. We still have standing corn out there yet but the snow is to deep. There are a lot of acres corn still standing in Wisconsin cause it's high in moisture and you'll go broke to try and dry it. So it's a waiting game for a lot people around here.

Latest posts