Close Encounters with Rattlesnakes

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1010876.jpg

I had pushed up some trees and stumps on a clear-cut site a few weeks ago. Wednesday, I took the chainsaw and sawed the stumps off the trees. Then John (my helper) took a wrecking bar to the stumps to work the dirt out so they would burn. I, meanwhile was pushing elsewhere. When John was finished I went back and pushed the trees and stumps into a pile to burn. This snake had been hiding somewhere in the stumps or logs. He was crushed when I piled them together and I found him laying belly up next to the pile.

Yesterday, I went back and pushed down some more trees and stumps in the same vicinity. While pushing I saw what looked like the twin of the dead snake. before I could get turned around he had hidden somwhere in the stuff I had pushed up. I pushed some of it around in hopes of crushing him as well. No luck. He's still in there hiding somewhere. Now, those stumps need cutting off and the dirt gotten out of them.

I used to have a dog that would bay rattlers. I wish she were still around.

GP, that sure is a pretty one. They sure have been crawling around lately. We killed 5 Wednesday. Seems they are out looking for their last meals before they go down for the winter. Best be watching where you step.

Pretty pattern, would probably be nice to skin out. I was always told growing up that snakes travel in pairs (might be breed dependent), anyone else heard that?

ga. prime":2jf04cnj said:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/gaprime/P1010876.jpg[/img

I used to have a dog that would bay rattlers. I wish she were still around.[/quote]
I know what you mean. I had one that would go snake hunting with me and from the first one he ever saw me shoot, from then on he would go in the bushes and get them. People would think I was joking when I would say I had a snake dog. But it was true.

I just want to say you and Jogeephus are a credit to the human race. I :clap: you both. Keep up the good work.

If GMN or any of the others try to discourage you about killing snakes. Don't pay any attention to them. They are weird.

Was with the hubby hiking in an area near our place. It was pretty cool out, so we were not thinking about snakes. I walked by this little ledge and a rattler buzzed. Hubby said he never knew a person could do a 6' jump to the side from a slow walk.
Was rounding up our bulls a few years later with a friend. It wasn't til afterwards he asked me if I had seen that 6' long rattler. No...... He then informed me that we had ridden within about 2' of him as he laid under a sage brush.
Where's the whiskey?

one of my jobs during peanut picking season is to climb up on top of the trailer and level off the peanuts before they go to town so a bunch dont fall off on the way. well every year when i get up there i get a little suprise it seems. usually they will be crawling around on top but sometimes when i rake away some peanuts they will pop out, and boy are they ticked off.

Beefy":1nzbds34 said:
one of my jobs during peanut picking season is to climb up on top of the trailer and level off the peanuts before they go to town so a bunch dont fall off on the way. well every year when i get up there i get a little suprise it seems. usually they will be crawling around on top but sometimes when i rake away some peanuts they will pop out, and boy are they ticked off.

Good thing they shell those peanuts, I'm sure they would have an awfull flavor otherwise

Couple years ago while hunting grouse in a patch of tall CRP grass.
I stepped on something that rolled kinda, under my foot. My momentum took my out of its striking range, BUT I then heard the familiar rattle. Looked back, yup big RATTLER. I don't care what they say :roll: :roll: I had the 12 guage. :D :D

Ryder":1ci3vvy0 said:
ga. prime":1ci3vvy0 said:

I used to have a dog that would bay rattlers. I wish she were still around.[/quote]
I know what you mean. I had one that would go snake hunting with me and from the first one he ever saw me shoot, from then on he would go in the bushes and get them. People would think I was joking when I would say I had a snake dog. But it was true.

I just want to say you and Jogeephus are a credit to the human race. I :clap: you both. Keep up the good work.

If GMN or any of the others try to discourage you about killing snakes. Don't pay any attention to them. They are weird.[/quote]

Aren't rattlers good eating Ryder?

ga. prime":1b6toyin said:
P1010876.jpg

I had pushed up some trees and stumps on a clear-cut site a few weeks ago. Wednesday, I took the chainsaw and sawed the stumps off the trees. Then John (my helper) took a wrecking bar to the stumps to work the dirt out so they would burn. I, meanwhile was pushing elsewhere. When John was finished I went back and pushed the trees and stumps into a pile to burn. This snake had been hiding somewhere in the stumps or logs. He was crushed when I piled them together and I found him laying belly up next to the pile.

Yesterday, I went back and pushed down some more trees and stumps in the same vicinity. While pushing I saw what looked like the twin of the dead snake. before I could get turned around he had hidden somwhere in the stuff I had pushed up. I pushed some of it around in hopes of crushing him as well. No luck. He's still in there hiding somewhere. Now, those stumps need cutting off and the dirt gotten out of them.

I used to have a dog that would bay rattlers. I wish she were still around.

Thats a big snake!

mnmtranching":lapuq0sy said:
I stepped on something that rolled kinda, under my foot.

That feeling under your foot is unforgettable!***shivver****

Since you don't want to kill just for the sake of killing. Here are a couple of belts I traded two pair of underwear for. :oops:

IMG_1453.jpg

My son sent me this picture last year. It was taken in Colorado at the Air Force Academy. Don't know what kind of rattlesnake it is but it seems a bit too close for comfort to me.

Snake-1.jpg

Ryder":35q7elro said:
ga. prime":35q7elro said:

If GMN or any of the others try to discourage you about killing snakes. Don't pay any attention to them. They are weird.[/quote]

Man oh Man Ryder, you sure do hold a grudge.

Jogeephus":2re0ddrf said:
mnmtranching":2re0ddrf said:
I stepped on something that rolled kinda, under my foot.

That feeling under your foot is unforgettable!***shivver****

Since you don't want to kill just for the sake of killing. Here are a couple of belts I traded two pair of underwear for. :oops:

IMG_1453.jpg

Nice belts. :)

I would leave those stumps until winter.
How do the snakes get in the wagon with the peanuts? I don't know much about peanut farming, love peanuts though.

tuck, the snakes get picked up by the peanut combine. Yeah, waiting on winter is an option worthy of consideration. Or, I'll at least push the stumps around some just prior to working on them. :D

Latest posts