Clipping Necks

Help Support CattleToday:

*Cowgirl*

Reaction score
All right.
How do yall clip necks and why?
And, what breed & genders do you show

I show Chi heifers and clip according to front end structure. But I usually just "peel" them

we normally blend the neck. We clip there head to the back of there pole and then blend it back to there shoulders

I mainly show MaineX's but you cliip the head down (as you should know) and then go down the front of the neck (or the dewlap) and cut that down just don't burr it. then blend your lines. on the top of the neck find the low and highs and clip a straight line between the. the crest should be cut down a fare amount to make it all evern out and tie into the poll.

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

Look around at the shows you attend. In my opinion, it depends on the animal. I've got a couple of young heifers that I didn't clip their neck at all, except for wild hairs. Others are practically peeled.

farmwife":1n2uqjb3 said:
Look around at the shows you attend. In my opinion, it depends on the animal. I've got a couple of young heifers that I didn't clip their neck at all, except for wild hairs. Others are practically peeled.

That is also another thing that you have to take into consideration. If your calf has a long neck leave the hair longer but a shorter necked calf you can clip on down.

Latest posts