Clippers and Fitting

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
*I have been reading past forum posts and trying to find some information on this so if there is some please direct me.*

OK, so I am a 4-her and have been showing for about six years. I have been taught the basics when it comes to flat head clippers and clipping the face/neck and tail but then all of a sudden I saw a friend of mine whip out a sheep shear for adding more width to the back and boning the legs and making the animal more boxy. So I would like to step up my fitting game and try these only thing is I have no idea where to start with a 320wt or what blade. I would like to have some opinions for fitting my cow and yearling heifer

Some other questions...
How long before the show should I clip?
How do I add more finish to my show steer?
Should I clip the head/shoulder and neck at different times on a Heifer with an unclean front?

Biggest thing is what kind of sheep clippers? Should I use them? How do I use them and what blade do I use :)

Thanks for all the help in previous posts I have made :)

SimmentalShowGirl":27cy4qau said:
*I have been reading past forum posts and trying to find some information on this so if there is some please direct me.*

OK, so I am a 4-her and have been showing for about six years. I have been taught the basics when it comes to flat head clippers and clipping the face/neck and tail but then all of a sudden I saw a friend of mine whip out a sheep shear for adding more width to the back and boning the legs and making the animal more boxy. So I would like to step up my fitting game and try these only thing is I have no idea where to start with a 320wt or what blade. I would like to have some opinions for fitting my cow and yearling heifer

Some other questions...
How long before the show should I clip?
I usually clip a week before the show, but I show animals that don't have a ton of hair. Usually a week gives the hair enough time to grow out some so it doesn't look so freshly clipped
How do I add more finish to my show steer?
Hopefully someone like VCC will give an opinion here, I haven't shown much for steers in long time.
Should I clip the head/shoulder and neck at different times on a Heifer with an unclean front?
On heifers with sloppy fronts, I try and take the hair down as much as possible. Then I try to blend the problem areas in. It's kind of hard to describe without a picture of the animal. Do you have one of her?
Biggest thing is what kind of sheep clippers? Should I use them? How do I use them and what blade do I use :)
I have never used a sheep head on my cattle for body clipping. I feel like they're too big and bulky to maneuver. I use an Andis (can't think of the model right now...) with a blocking blade (if you curious as to what blade, let me know, I'll have to look it up). I have seen people use a sheep head on legs, but you're kind of in the same boat as far as bulk. I use my Andis on the legs also.
Thanks for all the help in previous posts I have made :)

Ok so personally I've never used my sheep shears for fitting. Just to slick calves out for the summer.
I normally clip my calf for the show starting 2 weeks before and working until the day before. But that's just my method. That way you have plenty of time to tweek and change thing.
For more finish I just feed more and walk less. Turn them out only at night and keep them up during the day.(helps to keep them cooler too.)