Clipper Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Cheyenne

Reaction score
I need to buy a set of clippers and have been looking around at our local farm stores etc. I'm confused. Everything seems to be geared to the Equine people. Any suggestions on a good set of clippers? I do have a sullivan's catalog here somewhere and will look through that again.

I will also be using these clippers on a couple of llamas that will need to be sheared in the spring, so I am looking for a good all around set of clippers. Any help/advise is appreciated. Thank you.

Well, it is really hard to do everything with ONE set(type) of clippers.
We have sheepshears for heavy body clipping.
Flat heads for close clipping (peeling/buzzing) but you can use Sheepshears if you know what you are doing.
And Andis with wide head for all fine clipping and blocking.
Depending on the type of hair/wool of the llamas, I would assume you need sheepshears.
So depends on what you need to do with the clippers.

Thanks Jeanne, didn't think I was going to get by with only one set. I will check with our llama leader and see what they use and then determine what I need for the cattle.

Still learning to clip and fit cattle, on our own no 4-h advisors for this. I'm going to see if there is someone around here that I could talk to for some of the basics and practice from there.

Thanks for your help.

Cheyenne":3i6wdo35 said:
Thanks Jeanne, didn't think I was going to get by with only one set. I will check with our llama leader and see what they use and then determine what I need for the cattle.

Still learning to clip and fit cattle, on our own no 4-h advisors for this. I'm going to see if there is someone around here that I could talk to for some of the basics and practice from there.

Thanks for your help.
Excellent idea. I wish all beginners around here displayed your common sense. :)

I like my cordless Oster's. I just change the blades when I need to do the head/neck and then change back for the body clipping. I have a set of shearmasters, but I haven't used them since I got the cordless. I even use them to do haircuts for my husband and sons.

Thanks everyone for the help. My prayers have been answered in a way. My son got a card in the mail today about a ShowMaster Boot Camp in March. (Sponsored by ShowMaster feeds). Anyway we will definately be taking advantage of this opportunity.

I have been looking at the cordless clippers for ease of use. My son is ten but his hands are kinda small so I would like to have something that is easy for him to handle.

I'm sure there will be vendors at this clinic so we should be able to get a little hands on too so I can see what fits him.

Thanks again for all your help and advice. Glad I have a place to start.

Latest posts