Climbing Roses

Help Support CattleToday:

Just_a_girl

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a climbing rose that would best tolerate Texas conditions?

I'm looking for color, fragrance, and lots of blooms. One that blooms until late fall. I have a couple of Don Juan roses that I found can tolerate the heat, but they only bloom one time, early spring. Also have a pink Nearly Wild rose, but it is a more of a bush type.

If you think of another good climber that spreads that is not a rose, please suggest it because I will check it out.

thank you....

Just_a_girl":etd72x8l said:
If you think of another good climber that spreads that is not a rose, please suggest it because I will check it out.

thank you....

What about Confederate Jasmine? Added bonus, it smells wonderful! You might also check out Trumpet Vine, Honeysuckle, or some of the Clematis varieties. I had Confederate Jasmine, and several varieties of Clematis in my yard when I lived in Georgia, so I would think they would be able to handle the Texas heat. I also had Morning Glories, but they tend to be a little obnoxious in that they spread a little too easily. :lol: :lol:

well i dont know of anything that blooms continuously but a vine that i like a lot is the Crossvine. Bignonia capreolata. its an everygreen and it has trumpet-like flowers that hummingbirds like but it doesnt go everywhere and eat your pets at night like the trumpetvine does. Carolina yellow jasmine is another favorite vine of mine, though supposedly poisonous to cattle. it grows wild here, they just dont eat it.

as far as roses go i dont like the things! i have a few knockout roses, but they are not vines. the only vining rose i would suggest is the LadyBanks Rose but it doesnt bloom for very long.

clematis tend to bloom a lot when they get started. for continuous blooms the Mandevilla may be your best bet...

I'm going to build a covered outdoor sitting area and will use stuff that I found laying around here. I have several post and found a fence panel that has been beat up a bit. I will set the post in the ground, frame out the east and west sides, brace the top and attach the panel to that. Plant climbers on the east and west sides. I'm recycling stuff that I found laying about.

I'm looking at your suggestions, I like that climbing peace though.

msscamp, I like morning glories, but can't seem to get them to be obnoxious for me. :lol:

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I'm going to build a covered outdoor sitting area and will use stuff that I found around the place. I have several post and found a fence panel that has been beat up a bit. I will set the post in the ground, frame out the east and west sides, brace the top and attach the panel to that. Plant climbers on the east and west sides. I'm recycling stuff around the place, and man there is lots of it. :shock: :lol:

I'm looking at your suggestions on web. I do like that climbing peace though.

msscamp, I like morning glories, but can't seem to get them to be obnoxious at for me. :roll:

No matter what I plant, I will have to condition the soil first.

I like my little dog and cat so I may just leave the trumpet vine alone. :shock: Last year, I noticed trumpet vine growing along the train tracks. I wonder if someone lost a dog or cat to it and that is how the vine ended up near the tracks :lol:

Joseph's Coat of Many Colors. Get a big bloom in Spring , and then sporadically 'till frost. I don't think you'll find one that blooms continually. Instead of a rose, I'd go with what msscamp said: Confederate Jasmine. No thorns, evergreen, and on a warm, humid, still evening, the most divinely sensual perfume there ever was will fill your yard and porches. But, the blooms on it are gone too in 2 or 3 weeks.

ga. prime":wcmuhjn3 said:
Joseph's Coat of Many Colors. Get a big bloom in Spring , and then sporadically 'till frost. I don't think you'll find one that blooms continually. Instead of a rose, I'd go with what msscamp said: Confederate Jasmine. No thorns, evergreen, and on a warm, humid, still evening, the most divinely sensual perfume there ever was will fill your yard and porches. But, the blooms on it are gone too in 2 or 3 weeks.

I looked at Joseph's Coat climbing rose, and I really like the different shades of colors. Do you have one?

Also looked at the Confederate Jasmine you and msscamp suggested. The words they used to describe it and its scent was pretty close to your description, they used the word "excotic" for its scent. I'm going to check out some the gardening centers to see if they carry the two. I can look at pictures on the web all day long, but I would much prefer to see and smell them in person. Who knows how many of those climbers I will come back with. :)

thank you....

Beefy":g79bd8bf said:
well i dont know of anything that blooms continuously but a vine that i like a lot is the Crossvine.

Confederate Jasmine blooms continuously, as does Nelly Moser Clematis, Jackamine(?) Clematis, and the white variety - of which I cannot remember the name. Perhaps you're not giving your Clematis enough bone meal?

Just_a_girl":4295ovjm said:
I'm going to build a covered outdoor sitting area and will use stuff that I found laying around here. I have several post and found a fence panel that has been beat up a bit. I will set the post in the ground, frame out the east and west sides, brace the top and attach the panel to that. Plant climbers on the east and west sides. I'm recycling stuff that I found laying about.

Sounds like a plan! ;-) Please post some pictures when it all comes together? :D

msscamp, I like morning glories, but can't seem to get them to be obnoxious for me. :lol:

Try giving them a little bone meal. I mixed a fair amount of composted cow poop into my soil, and they went nuts!

Welcome! :)

msscamp,

I'm going shopping this Saturday to see if I can find some of the plants that were suggested, and then maybe I can work on my project Saturday afternoon and Sunday. I hope! :lol:

I can't wait to have it all built and flowers growing so that I can go sit in the evening and enjoy the lovely sent, exotic or sensual. ;-) :D

I will post a picture for you. :nod:

msscamp":iat3tjs9 said:
Beefy":iat3tjs9 said:
well i dont know of anything that blooms continuously but a vine that i like a lot is the Crossvine.

Confederate Jasmine blooms continuously, as does Nelly Moser Clematis, Jackamine(?) Clematis, and the white variety - of which I cannot remember the name. Perhaps you're not giving your Clematis enough bone meal?

Probably not since i dont give them ANY bonemeal. so you guys expect me to believe i have to feed plants now too?

Just a Girl, yes I do have a Joseph's Coat. As well as some Confederate Jasmine and Clematis all blooming on the same trellis. Took some pics this morning but I'm on the wrong computer to post them from. I'll try to post Friday night from my other computer. Msscamp-it's Jackmanji.

Just_a_girl":s2oejm7i said:
Can anyone suggest a climbing rose that would best tolerate Texas conditions?

I'm looking for color, fragrance, and lots of blooms. One that blooms until late fall. I have a couple of Don Juan roses that I found can tolerate the heat, but they only bloom one time, early spring. Also have a pink Nearly Wild rose, but it is a more of a bush type.

thank you....

Mrs. Burno said Josephs Coat or a Rio Samba.

Sorry all, I think I might have Confederate Jasmine confused with Common White Jasmine. :oops:

ga. prime":8ccjuo63 said:
Just a Girl, yes I do have a Joseph's Coat. As well as some Confederate Jasmine and Clematis all blooming on the same trellis. Took some pics this morning but I'm on the wrong computer to post them from. I'll try to post Friday night from my other computer. Msscamp-it's Jackmanji.

that would be great! can't wait to see those pictures. thanks much! :D

That Rio Samba is nice too.
I was looking at all the Jasmines that I could find on the web.
There is even a Winter Jasmine, it blooms, of course in the winter. It doesn't have a scent though.
I found an article and pictures in a magazine on the Confederate Jasmine, it's planted near a small sitting area and is growing all over the side of a white brick house. It's really thick and pretty.

I'm sure I'll be pretty busy once I figure out which one I would like to plant. And, if I can't decide on a climber then there is always the 4 sides of the house, the shed, and the shop. :lol: :lol: I'm kidding....

Latest posts