Climbing Roses

Help Support CattleToday:

Just_a_girl":3qbqcq5y said:
That Rio Samba is nice too.
I was looking at all the Jasmines that I could find on the web.
There is even a Winter Jasmine, it blooms, of course in the winter. It doesn't have a scent though.
I found an article and pictures in a magazine on the Confederate Jasmine, it's planted near a small sitting area and is growing all over the side of a white brick house. It's really thick and pretty.

I'm sure I'll be pretty busy once I figure out which one I would like to plant. And, if I can't decide on a climber then there is always the 4 sides of the house, the shed, and the shop. :lol: :lol: I'm kidding....

No you're not - I've been there! ;-) :lol: :lol: Once you've covered all of them, there are also these lovely things on the market called trellises, and arbors, and it's simply amazing what one can accomplish with a little bit of string, a couple of boards, and a few small nails! ;-) I'm looking forward to pictures. :D

msscamp":2fr4t7zi said:
Just_a_girl":2fr4t7zi said:
There is even a Winter Jasmine, it blooms, of course in the winter. It doesn't have a scent though.
I found an article and pictures in a magazine on the Confederate Jasmine, it's planted near a small sitting area and is growing all over the side of a white brick house. It's really thick and pretty.

I'm sure I'll be pretty busy once I figure out which one I would like to plant. And, if I can't decide on a climber then there is always the 4 sides of the house, the shed, and the shop. :lol: :lol: I'm kidding....

No you're not - I've been there! ;-) :lol: :lol: Once you've covered all of them, there are also these lovely things on the market called trellises, and arbors, and it's simply amazing what one can accomplish with a little bit of string, a couple of boards, and a few small nails! ;-) I'm looking forward to pictures. :D

Don't forget the wooden fence around the backyard, and the dog's house. :lol: :shock: :lol:

You already know me too well. :lol: I'll try to control myself. 8) ;-)

After last night's rain, I will have to wait for the ground to dry. I'm hoping that when I do go looking for the climbers that the stores will still have some.

ga.prime,
If your Conderderate Jasmine and Joseph's Coat come up missing, I didn't do. ;-) :D

Everyone have a nice day.....

Just_a_girl":3lscbf66 said:
msscamp":3lscbf66 said:
Just_a_girl":3lscbf66 said:

Don't forget the wooden fence around the backyard, and the dog's house. :lol: :shock: :lol:

You already know me too well. :lol: I'll try to control myself. 8) ;-)

After last night's rain, I will have to wait for the ground to dry. I'm hoping that when I do go looking for the climbers that the stores will still have some.

ga.prime,
If your Conderderate Jasmine and Joseph's Coat come up missing, I didn't do. ;-) :D

Everyone have a nice day.....

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Was going back through a Texas Neighbors April 2007 addition and found the websites listed below.

There was also an article about the Peggy Martin rose (pink climber) in that April addition. The article had an interesting story about the rose and how it came by its name, also states that the rose is very hardy. ;-) Another idea to toss in with the rest of the suggestions from everyone on this post. :D

http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/index.html
http://www.chambleeroses.com/
http://www.naconichegardens.com/
http://petalsfromthepast.com/

P1010239.jpg

P1010253.jpg

Joseph's Coat of Many Colors with a little Confederate Jasmine. There's some Clematis in there too but it has stopped blooming. It would look a lot better if I ever watered it. It's been a really dry Spring. This trellis hides 3 trashcans by the way.
P1010217.jpg

My Mom's guest house. Jasmine growing up a tree.
P1010259.jpg

Corner of my house. I told you I liked Jasmine. :lol:

carolina yellow jasmine rocks my socks! thats a cool looking rose.

the next vine i get will be tangerine beauty crossvine. or i may try a wild one from the woods though i dont think they bloom as much.

ga. prime,

Wow.... :shock: very nice....I love your place. Now, how do I get there? :lol:

I really like the colors of that Joseph's Coat. With all those flowers, I bet it smells great around your house.

How long has the Joseph's Coat been there?

I went to several places this afternoon, I found only the Joseph's Coat and climbing Peace and I bought them both. ;-) I couldn't find a Confederate Jasmine, I found everything else Jasmine, but no Confederate yet. :(

Thanks for posting those pictures! :D

Just_a_girl":1409bf6c said:
I went to several places this afternoon, I found only the Joseph's Coat and climbing Peace and I bought them both. ;-) I couldn't find a Confederate Jasmine, I found everything else Jasmine, but no Confederate yet. :(

Probably cuz its a weed!

Beefy":21knd8lc said:
Just_a_girl":21knd8lc said:

Probably cuz its a weed!

Well then I shouldn't have any problem growing it then....

Just a Girl, that rose has been there 3 or 4 yrs. It really gets neglected though, (I never water it) which is a testament to its hardiness. I'm sure if you water yours when it gets dry, it'll do better than mine. Do you use a fertilizer blended with a systemic insecticide on your roses? That helps a lot and is something else I've neglected to do for a couple of years.. Good luck!

Beefy, I've never tried a crossvine. Your enthusiasm for them has me interested though. I'll have to study up on 'em. A crossvine could be in my future.

ga. prime":ar3hygue said:
Just a Girl, that rose has been there 3 or 4 yrs. It really gets neglected though, (I never water it) which is a testament to its hardiness. I'm sure if you water yours when it gets dry, it'll do better than mine. Do you use a fertilizer blended with a systemic insecticide on your roses? That helps a lot and is something else I've neglected to do for a couple of years.. Good luck!

Wow...as big as you Jospeh's Coat is, I figured several years.

I use a plant feeder and a spray to prevent black spots. There only insect that I've had a problem with so far is the grasshopper.

With all this rain, I thought that maybe the leaves on my roses would turn yellow. So far, the few ;-) roses I bought are doing well.

I really like the Chicago Peace, I have it planted in a very large pot, and I do mean large. It is about 3 times bigger than when originally purchased and seems to always be full of pretty blooms.

The Joseph's coat was planted in the ground at the same time as when I put the Chicago Peace in the pot.
I dug a hole about 3 times larger than the pot it came in. Took that dirt out and mixed it with mostly Miracle grow potting soil, and the appropriate amount of bone meal. I can only say, that the Joseph's coat looked shocked for the first few weeks, but seems to be doing better now. It tried to come done with a case of Black Spot, :( but I put an end to that real quick. :clap:
I'm still watching it, and if it does not pick up a little more then I will take it out of the ground and put it in a large pot also.

I also have a Pink Knock Out and a Maralade Skies, both of these roses tolerate lots of rain (this I know for sure!) and disease.

My confederate Jasmine is coming along nicely. I was only able to find a small one, so it has a ways to good.

I haven't got a favorite, I like them all.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions...... :D :wave:

last fall i picked up some "redrazz" knockout roses for 3 dollars. i only got three, but wish i had gotten all 10. anyway, they are all doing really well and i have rooted 4 more. they root super easily even though its probably against the law or something. at the same time i picked up 4 sago palms that were regularly 9 dollars but i got them for a dollar each! i also got some cardboard palms for cheap and they are doing really well. i have one planted in the yard but i will have to come up with something pretty crafty to keep it alive over the winter..

Beefy":2zlpceuf said:
last fall i picked up some "redrazz" knockout roses for 3 dollars. i only got three, but wish i had gotten all 10. anyway, they are all doing really well and i have rooted 4 more. they root super easily even though its probably against the law or something. at the same time i picked up 4 sago palms that were regularly 9 dollars but i got them for a dollar each! i also got some cardboard palms for cheap and they are doing really well. i have one planted in the yard but i will have to come up with something pretty crafty to keep it alive over the winter..

darn it! I think I paid about $10 for mine. I could wait until the roses are at a lower price but then they look like they are on their last stem. :(

Beefy,
How do you "root" roses? I've rooted a willow tree before, but those are easy.

some roses are easy to root, some are hard (impossible?) the knock outs i just cut a few small pieces and stuck them in a pot that had soil in it and kept moist and they rooted. other roses root easily if you lay a stem down and put something heavy over them like a brick, maybe cover it with dirt. later on when you can tell it has rooted you can just cut it off from the parent plant. you can use a rooting hormone OR if you are rooting anything in water, if you put a willow branch in with it it will help it to root, creates some kind of natural rooting hormone... i rooted some knockouts in water with a willow branch.

Latest posts