Clear nasal dicharge and slight cough.

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub

Reaction score
My horses have a clear nasal discharge and my colt is slightyy coughing. My grandad said it sounded like distemper but the vet said there was no such thing as distemper and that they had influenza or rimonu??????? and said he gives them a influenza shot and strangles up their nose. Grandad said he wouldjust treat it with penicillin. Thoughts??

is your horse has a fever and loss of appetite then he is still extremely contagious...and if I was you...i'd let the vet come out and take care of him...because it can spread very easily and I dont believe penicillin will work fast enough

bubchub":3rg78u1i said:
No fever or loss of appetite.

might not be influenza then...usually a fever developes because it is very contagious and a loss of appetite is common too because it is painful for them to swallow their feed...there's so many things that could make a horse cough and have a nasal discharge that its hard to point out which one it is...i'd say you could give the horse some penicillin now but if it didn't help any...then i'd be sure to get the vet out there to pinpoint the problem

I disagree with Farmboy on the generic use of penicillin (or any other antibiotic for that matter) for symptoms that may or may not be indicitive of an illness. What have your temperatures been like lately? Hot days and cool nights? If so, they may simply have a virus - which will not respond to antibiotics. Are they on pasture or in a corral? If in a corral then dust could be causing the runny noses and coughing. Also, if they are in a corral and your hay is even a little bit dusty that could be causing the cough of the younger horse since they will be more sensitive to the dust than an older horse will. If on pasture, spring is in the air and pollen could be causing these symptoms as well. Since none of them are running a fever or are off feed it is likely not life threatening, but if you are concerned or if their symptoms are bothering you, then call your vet and find out what the problem is, but please do not simply administer antibiotics when you don't know what your dealing with. It will likely cause more problems than it will solve.

msscamp":34vetdbo said:
I disagree with Farmboy on the generic use of penicillin (or any other antibiotic for that matter) for symptoms that may or may not be indicitive of an illness. What have your temperatures been like lately? Hot days and cool nights? If so, they may simply have a virus - which will not respond to antibiotics. Are they on pasture or in a corral? If in a corral then dust could be causing the runny noses and coughing. Also, if they are in a corral and your hay is even a little bit dusty that could be causing the cough of the younger horse since they will be more sensitive to the dust than an older horse will. If on pasture, spring is in the air and pollen could be causing these symptoms as well. Since none of them are running a fever or are off feed it is likely not life threatening, but if you are concerned or if their symptoms are bothering you, then call your vet and find out what the problem is, but please do not simply administer antibiotics when you don't know what your dealing with. It will likely cause more problems than it will solve.

he said the vet told him that they had influenza though...I wont argue with vet because im sure they know plenty more than me but I dont see why all of his horses would have it if they dont have a fever...if they dont have a high temp. then its probably not contagious...so I dont understand why they would all have it...I wouldn't tell him to just go out and start shooting his horses with penicillin just because their nose is running but if the vet told him they have influenza then i'd have to listen to them

Heritage_Farmboy":dy6caifh said:
msscamp":dy6caifh said:

he said the vet told him that they had influenza though...I wont argue with vet because im sure they know plenty more than me but I dont see why all of his horses would have it if they dont have a fever...if they dont have a high temp. then its probably not contagious...so I dont understand why they would all have it...I wouldn't tell him to just go out and start shooting his horses with penicillin just because their nose is running but if the vet told him they have influenza then i'd have to listen to them

Thanks for pointing that out, Farmboy, I missed or misread that part. Sorry. :oops: I won't argue with a vet (usually just load my animal and leave if it comes to that), but I do make sure I've done my homework and I won't hesitate to question them if it doesn't feel right. The lack of fever and not being off feed is what has me questioning the diagnosis of influenza as well. I wonder if the vet actually saw these animals or if it was a phone consultation? We've got enough incompentant vets up here that I usually get a second opinion if I have to use any of the, ummmmmm, shall we say lesser educated ones? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts