City hunter rant

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I'm bored so I will rant. We live by a small river with many bends etc. Years ago every acre was farmed or pastured. But now those little fields by the river are abandoned and very few pasture cattle. By us some land is wilder than it's been in over 100 years. We have many deer, pheasants and turkeys. So behind us and near us land has been brought for hunting land. I fence everything and expect city folk not to do their share even if the law says they are responsible for half. But every fall the fighting begins. My son who also owns land by me was jumped on as a 11 year old grandson shot a small buck. Another threatened my son for having a stand 20 feet from the line while they have a stand 3/4 of a mile away right on my line. With GPS we have twice been threaten with a fence being a few feet off in our favor. The law is clear on a fence being the property line after so many years of no contest. These fences go back 75 years or more. One of these city guys got in a fight with a neighbor because the neighbor's stand looked over a field that the neighbor owned. But the city guy had a stand on the edge of that field and the neighbor could shoot towards the city guys stand. Some one, not us, drove a 4 wheeler down a city guys field road and threats were made. Also my cattle might infect the the deer herd with disease. Our dog went in the ditch on their side of a township road. Also 30 years ago a road was legally abandoned that afforded access to hunting land on the opposite side of the river. That abandoned road went through our fields and fence. A demand was made that I allow access for the hunters and tear down my fences. The list could go. Thanks for hearing my rant.

PS two family groups hunt behind our lands that give access to the opposite of the river. For a few years Family A and Family B both would cross on our land on foot or by vehicle if possible. Then families A and B got to feuding and we were constantly visited by both families condemning each other and asking us to not let the other family cross. I said I wanted no part of this and lately we have not heard from either family attacking the other.

All you can do is make the best of it. When they come crying look them right in the eye and tell them, you have no idea how little i care. When they are around just act like they have just stepped in dog crap. After a year or so most people will leave you alone. Has worked well for me.

I have been lucky and not had any issues to amount to anything, but I've heard similar stories with move-ins in my area. So far, the ones close to me are just for comedy relief.

There is a family that moved in from TX a few years ago. They built a house that looks more like a tool shed than a house. They were supposedly in the oil business and rodeo in TX. They apparently weren't in the money-making side of the oil business. A friend told me he saw him in a local rodeo and said his grandmother could ride better than that guy. They usually have a cow tied to a pole and talk about it like they're running a dairy. They own around 5 acres and have a sign that reads "Rocking R Ranch."

We don't have "move in" issues here. It is all either big ranches or BLM. What we do have is city people who come over here to hunt. They think if it has sage brush growing on it that it must be BLM (public land). Little things like no trespassing signs on a barb wire fence mean nothing. We all have stories to tell. My best one from last year was a guy who stopped to ask if he could shoot a little buck behind the neighbors house. I said why are you asking me? He replied that the neighbor wasn't home. Doesn't matter I sure can't give you permission. Here is your sign...... But I do have to say, at least he asked.

We have some that lease the property to the south of us. And yes, their blinds are right on the fence row facing our alfalfa field. Numerous issues, including spot lighting me one night, shooting a FAWN on our property, trespassing and even taking the liberty to fish on our watershed lake. We finally had a come-to-Jesus and haven't had any issues since.

To be fair it's not just city hunters, it's my own friends and family too. They show up on the weekend and want to do all this stuff at the places and think I have to be there too. I've been at those places all week. I want to knock out stuff at the house or relax a little... not hold your hand. When by Friday at noon they still cant decide when or what time they will be arriving... they are on their own. I'm not changing plans... :bang: ... end rant. :deadhorse:

I deal with this on a semi-regular business each deer season.

#1) Have a very good working relationship with your local game warden and his cell number. Be surprised how many rogue hunters you can call their bluff with a simple phone call.

#2) GPS means nothing. Tell offended party if they think property line is out, then they pay for a new physical grid survey by a licensed land surveyor. They run a few thousand dollars and take the wind out of person's sail quick.

#3) Your blind/stand can be as close to the property line as you want, provided it is on your side. Same with other party. A hunter's bullet cannot stray beyond the borders of the owned/rented property, when it does, that is when wardens will step in. So no aiming at deer on the other side of the fence. Not to say you can't make a noise and scare them onto your property though.

#4) If the road was properly abandoned, confirm with county that it is now solely in the possession of yourself and is part of your deeded title.

Rules may differ by jurisdiction, but this is how it works here.

Brute 23 said:
To be fair it's not just city hunters, it's my own friends and family too. They show up on the weekend and want to do all this stuff at the places and think I have to be there too. I've been at those places all week. I want to knock out stuff at the house or relax a little... not hold your hand. When by Friday at noon they still cant decide when or what time they will be arriving... they are on their own. I'm not changing plans... :bang: ... end rant. :deadhorse:

This!!! May actually be worse. I've had neighbors text, wanting to know if the lake was open & they want to bring friends. Open? WTH? Go to the City lake! And quite often when we have allowed these unplanned parties they leave trash, beer cans/bottles, etc and we have to clean it up. Or the neighbor that set up a blind for turkey hunting and left it for 9 months, assuming the privilege would apply the following year. I especially love it when people just show up, pulling a boat or with a truck full of armed buddies. The extended family members that want to come out at an exact time and don't understand that during calving, time is a luxury and I absolutely have no desire to entertain the troops. This is our home!

Brute, you got me fired up. :bang: And I'll end my rant ;-)

The way I take care of what was described in the above posts is to basically say no to most all requests. I have a cousin who hunts deer and turkey here and has for years. There is another guy who coon hunts, and that's it. Everybody else gets a NO. I must have done a good job, because I haven't had anyone ask in over 10 years.

When I tell people that my kids hunt here that takes care of that. But my youngest son thinks he owns the place. This country doesn't heal itself well. I tell him to stay on the "roads" with his quad. He says it doesn't hurt things for me to go where ever I want. I tell him when I can see where he drove a year later it isn't good. Stay on the roads and walk every where else. Then I sent him a picture of a nice shed antler I found. His reply was that I was stealing his sheds. Hmmmm

herofan said:
I have been lucky and not had any issues to amount to anything, but I've heard similar stories with move-ins in my area. So far, the ones close to me are just for comedy relief.

There is a family that moved in from TX a few years ago. They built a house that looks more like a tool shed than a house. They were supposedly in the oil business and rodeo in TX. They apparently weren't in the money-making side of the oil business. A friend told me he saw him in a local rodeo and said his grandmother could ride better than that guy. They usually have a cow tied to a pole and talk about it like they're running a dairy. They own around 5 acres and have a sign that reads "Rocking R Ranch."

They gotta be doing youtube vids on how to be a rancher.....do a search, maybe you will find out how to milk a cow...lol

TCRanch said:
We have some that lease the property to the south of us. And yes, their blinds are right on the fence row facing our alfalfa field. Numerous issues, including spot lighting me one night, shooting a FAWN on our property, trespassing and even taking the liberty to fish on our watershed lake. We finally had a come-to-Jesus and haven't had any issues since.

Be careful, your prob lucky a shot did not follow.

greggy said:
TCRanch said:

Be careful, your prob lucky a shot did not follow.

True. Any time they show up I wear blaze orange, even if it's just a hat.

be happy ya can still hunt it..they just plowed 600 acres of some really good turkey deer and pig killing country in the name of solar panels..across the street from me..the lowland was a corridor for deer like a superhighway....poof..its all over now...

Latest posts