CITRONELLA SPRAY

Help Support CattleToday:

momanto

Reaction score
CAN CATTLE TOLERATE CITRONELLA SPRAY? I NOTICE IT CAN BE USED FOR HORSES. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF A VINEGAR-CITRONELLA SPRAY?

OUR HERD IS 25 AND ARE BUCKET TRAINED, HAND SPRAYED AND GRASS FED. PASTURES ARE 40 ACRES EACH.

THANK YOU,
MOM SUE

I've never seen Citronella work on Horses for more than a few hours at the most. I wouln't even try it on Cattle. If you want something that works, try Elector, a new product that really works! Get the concentrate for mixing in a sprayer

momanto":2fen9uea said:
CAN CATTLE TOLERATE CITRONELLA SPRAY? I NOTICE IT CAN BE USED FOR HORSES. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF A VINEGAR-CITRONELLA SPRAY?

I've heard of people making home-made versions. It doesn't usually work very well. As Crowderfarms wrote, it only lasts a couple hours at best.

Katherine

Citronella aint worth a carp around these parts! them hummingbirds would laugh at me from here to yonder as i was running away. and the citronella plants are even more worthless. best thing to deter skeeters around here is longsleeves. once you start sweating to death you'll at least cool off a little.

as a sidenote, they say that the only mosquitoes that bite you are females.

Years ago I used to correspond with an old vet that had home remedies for just about anything. He suggested for a natural alternative to fly spray that I put apple cider vinegar on my horses feed and it seemed to work to repel bugs. Don't know if a cow would eat it or what effect it would have.

I know quite a few Horse owners that have sworn By Avon's "Skin So Soft" on Horses. I wouldn't want my cattle to smell that pretty though :lol:

Crowderfarms":26rwigu2 said:
I know quite a few Horse owners that have sworn By Avon's "Skin So Soft" on Horses. I wouldn't want my cattle to smell that pretty though :lol:

Hey now that is an idea! I wonder how that would work on cattle, it is kinda oily tho isn't it??

My brother already gets on me for "spoilin" everyone, but they are just so appreciative of my attention I can't resist. That SKin so Soft stuff just might be worth a try on the show girls.

Now thats a concept. Supposed to repel flies, mosquitos, gnats, etc. My wife uses it on her horses too. I was just informed of that.Thought it was just one of her friends that used it on theirs.

Crowderfarms":j728miuq said:
Now thats a concept. Supposed to repel flies, mosquitos, gnats, etc. My wife uses it on her horses too. I was just informed of that.Thought it was just one of her friends that used it on theirs.

Does she wipe it on or spray it on??

We've tried Skin so Soft on the cows actually... with mixed results. I don't think it works as well as most of the sprays, but it's good around their eyes and ears.

TheBullLady":39hpwo2h said:
We've tried Skin so Soft on the cows actually... with mixed results. I don't think it works as well as most of the sprays, but it's good around their eyes and ears.

Did it make their coat sticky?

THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS. I WILL TRY SOME OF THEM. I HAVE 5 HEIFER GIRLS THAT ARE KINDA TAME TO EXPERIMENT ON. OF COURSE, IT IS THE BIG BLACK WILDISH COWS THAT GET THE MOST FLIES.

GLAD TO HEAR ABOUT "ELECTOR" WILL TRY THAT TOO FOR SERIOUS SPRAY TIME.

MY DIL HAD THIS YOUNGISH CAT THAT SHE LET GET ATE ALIVE WITH FLEAS. SO ONE DAY I CAUGHT IT AND RUBBED SKIN SO SOFT HAND LOTION ALL OVER IT. WELL, IT CAUSED THE CATS EYES TO SWELL SHUT. SHE WAS SOME KINDA MAD AT ME. SHE HAD TO TAKE IT TO THE VET. BUT POOR THING WAS ATE ALIVE WITH FLEAS. AT LEAST WHEN IT'S EYES CLEARED UP AND IT RAINED AGAIN. IT WOULD LOOK AND FEEL BETTER W/ THE FLEAS GONE.

momanto":2vlrbbyf said:
THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS. I WILL TRY SOME OF THEM. I HAVE 5 HEIFER GIRLS THAT ARE KINDA TAME TO EXPERIMENT ON. OF COURSE, IT IS THE BIG BLACK WILDISH COWS THAT GET THE MOST FLIES.

GLAD TO HEAR ABOUT "ELECTOR" WILL TRY THAT TOO FOR SERIOUS SPRAY TIME.

MY DIL HAD THIS YOUNGISH CAT THAT SHE LET GET ATE ALIVE WITH FLEAS. SO ONE DAY I CAUGHT IT AND RUBBED SKIN SO SOFT HAND LOTION ALL OVER IT. WELL, IT CAUSED THE CATS EYES TO SWELL SHUT. SHE WAS SOME KINDA MAD AT ME. SHE HAD TO TAKE IT TO THE VET. BUT POOR THING WAS ATE ALIVE WITH FLEAS. AT LEAST WHEN IT'S EYES CLEARED UP AND IT RAINED AGAIN. IT WOULD LOOK AND FEEL BETTER W/ THE FLEAS GONE.

Check online for a distributor for Pirahna Fly Spray. It's amazing stuff! Spray it and watch the flies drop dead within a couple of seconds. It's not available in stores, only through a distributor. It also lasts, you pretty much only have to spray once a day up here. It works for a variety of flies, can't remember all of them now. And I believe it works for mosquitoes as well.

Latest posts