CIDR's

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Today we were fixing to put CIDR's into a group of cows, the hubby had saved and cleaned up the CIDR's he used on the open heifers that they pulled last week. Now we normally use CIDR's twice and have never had an issue. The difference is on the open heifers we use the Missouri Protocol which leaves the CIDR in for 14 days. We discussed it and decided to not reuse the CIDR's that had been used on the heifers. Anyone have any experience with this we based it on we reuse the CIDR's that have been in a cow for 7 days, I would think that leaving the CIDR in for an additional 7 days would be like using it a second time.

gizmom

Haven't used them in cattle. But I have used hundreds in sheep and I always used them twice. I would leave them in for 7 days remove them and then put them in the next set of ewes for 7 more days. Never had a problem with using them twice.

Theres 19 days of product (progesterone i think) on the tips of the Cidr so if you used them on the 14 day heifer deal theres only 5 days left, you need 7 it would cut it to close for me. I think you can use those in recips and get along ok.
Theres to much time involved to cut corners, the only place im gonna use them twice anymore is on heifers with the 7 day they more pliable and not as harsh on the heifers.
With all the money spent to try and save the 4.12cents is not worth it. if you just have a couple that dont breed because of infection youve lost money. Ive heard that Zoeitis will loose the patent in 2016 so there will be competition and have more reasonable pricing on Cidrs.

BSE

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the 19 days of product, we have always used the CIDR'S two times, but got to thinking that if the CIDR was in for 14 days that was equivalent to two uses. Based on your information I am sure glad we made the decision to use new ones on the mature cows. Again thanks for the information.

Gizmom

Latest posts