Chute width

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I fininshed buiding my working pen the other day, just need to put in the chute going to the squeeze chute. what is a good width to make the chute for polled herefords?

Thanks,

Alan

Don't know about breed specifics. However, based on my research, think the range of widths for chutes is about 28 - 32" wide. Enough room to walk thru with couple inches to spare; not enough room to turn around. Sometimes cattle can be like snakes...bend double...lol.

Of course, if one has LARGE width cattle (or potbellied old females) then probably in 36" wide realm or so.

We use 28" as well. Even the fat old girls make it through ok. The may ooze parts of themselves through the holes in the sides but they make it. Even our old FS 6 1800 lb cow made it.

dun

I am at 30" and my bull can barely make it. He's scraping both sides wedged in when he comes through. The flies are so bad that I was having to spray cows every two weeks.

Someone posted an idea of using PVC pipe attachment to slide over the chute to narrow it down for smaller cattle. The PVC is light and could be dropped over the sides and lifted back out without a lot of effort. Thought that was good idea but I haven't had to do it, yet.

I use 29" with the pvc pipe. It works great. You can also put aother couple of boards down low that will be below the gut line of the cows but still in line for the smaller calves. If one can get their head down and back they will put a strain on the post trying to turn around. Keeping them from getting their head down and back solves this.

Alan - the breed is not the issue - the size of the animal is the important issue.

Stand behind one of them and estimate the width. We are at 32" and should be at 36". If they run through and do not have to force themselves through the narrow spots you are probably bang on.

Our animals are short and squat - very square - yours on the other hand?????????

Make that chute tall. And do yourself a favour and run a rail along the top of the boards. We used 6" diametre rails secured to the post tops with 12" spikes.

When the big ones tried to go over we would have had a few wrecks but the rail took the weight - boards would have broken. My chute from the ground to the top of the rail averages 6' 6". There are times I have been happy it is this tall. Even the quiet ones can get a bit riled at times.

Bez?

My chute is 26 inches wide. I've had some pretty big Brangus mommas go down it no problem. It's just inside my pole barn and is shaded all day. I had a bull, about 1600 lbs., that liked to go down the chute and just stand there in the shade. He apparently was in no discomfort in a 26 inch chute.

J. T.":2t0xah8r said:
My chute is 26 inches wide. I've had some pretty big Brangus mommas go down it no problem. It's just inside my pole barn and is shaded all day. I had a bull, about 1600 lbs., that liked to go down the chute and just stand there in the shade. He apparently was in no discomfort in a 26 inch chute.

I can honestly say that 26" would cause me big grief.

We built on section at 26" and had to tear it out - cattle could not get through. Even when we "electrically encouraged" them. You sure it's only 26"?

Seems pretty small - but then again I do not know the "build" of your cattle.

Most of mine are in the 1500 plus category and a lot of that weight is in width vs length.

Bez?

Hey Bez?,

what kind of rail - that's a dang good idea if you are stuck with lumber (like me) I need to do some remodeling big time. Poor old corrals are about done. Good for a movie set maybe, but for working cattle they are best for training people in easy calm working technique :frowns:

I just built my shute and tried something a little different. I built mine 27 inches at the bottom and graduated it up to 32 inches at the top. Granted I don't move many cows through mine...only have 6 pairs plus bull (all angus) and it's only 10 feet long. The Vet brings the head gate for farm calls. So far it has worked out well....acutally it was the Vet's recommendation. Gates kinda funky. Cheers, Bill

Hippie Rancher":5r07lxa4 said:
Hey Bez?,

what kind of rail - that's a dang good idea if you are stuck with lumber (like me) I need to do some remodeling big time. Poor old corrals are about done. Good for a movie set maybe, but for working cattle they are best for training people in easy calm working technique :frowns:

Mostly cedar, some fir and some maple or oak. I think I have even used some hickory and birch. I am not picky - it is all free for the taking - just go in the woods and cut some.

Usually it just depends on what I have handy.

Bez?

Bez?":9hfsd3yf said:
J. T.":9hfsd3yf said:

I can honestly say that 26" would cause me big grief.

We built on section at 26" and had to tear it out - cattle could not get through. Even when we "electrically encouraged" them. You sure it's only 26"?

Seems pretty small - but then again I do not know the "build" of your cattle.

Most of mine are in the 1500 plus category and a lot of that weight is in width vs length.

Bez?
It may have a little variation, but it was built by placing the posts 29 inches apart and boarding it up with 2x6's making it 26 inches wide, Never had one get stuck, but it's a tight fit which is what I was aiming for so cows wouldn't turn around in it.

We tried 30" and moved one side in to make the alley 28"...found that the smaller steers would try to turn around. The big boys and pregnant cows just squeeze a bit, had them scrape through but never had one stuck.
Agree with Bez...make it high, gets scary when one starts to climb out. Seems that if they can get the head over then the climbers will try. Dmc

Latest posts