Church 2

Help Support CattleToday:

Is going to Church good for humans?

• 1. Yes, going to Church is good for humans.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • 2. No, going to Church is not good for humans.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 3. It depends

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
larryshoat":2rxxnolr said:
Wanted to get a difinitive answer to Herfs question in the popular Church thread.

Larry

I don't see how you can get a legitimate definitive answer to your question. You are making it into a yes or no question and that is too restrictive.
I would have said "It Depends". But that was not an option.

Ryder":13z0pzwu said:
larryshoat":13z0pzwu said:
Wanted to get a difinitive answer to Herfs question in the popular Church thread.

Larry

I don't see how you can get a legitimate definitive answer to your question. You are making it into a yes or no question and that is too restrictive.
I would have said "It Depends". But that was not an option.

I agree Ryder. But, I would venture to say that it's good for all human preachers ;-) .

I think Larry's question/poll is well intended but it's difficult to answer unless we know if by "humans" we mean all humans, or just Christian humans. And does "church" mean kyriakon - ekklesia - ecclesia - assembly, that can be anywhere, anyplace, anytime and with any believer? Or, does it mean going to a named organization building every Sunday morning and maybe Wednesday nights? Does it include temples and mosques?

Maybe all the above doesn't matter at all and we could just answer that going to church is good for all humans that go there and not good for those humans that don't go there.

As mentioned elsewhere, one's faith is a very personal matter. It should be regarded and respected. But, there will always be those that will spite anothers beliefs and make every attempt to change their view.

Going to church (however you define it) is a good thing for all those whose life is improved as a result of it.

I went back and changed it some, took out difinitive and added an option. I kind of wanted everybody to make a general decision one way or the other, but I reckon that's not realistic.

Larry

larryshoat":3ekrjhmc said:
I went back and changed it some, took out difinitive and added an option. I kind of wanted everybody to make a general decision one way or the other, but I reckon that's not realistic.

Larry

Thanks Larry!! :D Then I would say it "depends". I prefer the notion of an entire body - one body - of believers and fellowship with anyone in that body.

I said "depends" and here is the reason why: I think it depends on the church. There are some pretty strange places calling themselves "churches" that end up being a big propananda machine for one nut's ideas and ideals. I know a lady who goes to a church where the pastor told them such things as:

One in every four cigarrettes in every pack has MJ laced in it. This lady actually believed that because her pastor said it and she's an ex smoker! I told her I'd smoked for years and I'd never run into that situation, and that if she could be so kind as to ask her pastor what brand specifically, so I can either avoid it or, depending on my mood at the time, buy them. :eek:

She's also spouted some hateful stuff about groups of people she has never had contact with, because her pastor said so. My point is Jesus loves us. There's no Jesus loves you unless... We either accept that love or reject it.

She has also injected her beliefs on her students as an only option, rather than just sticking to the curriculum. For example, if her students are watching a film about volcanos, she tells them that the world is not billions of years old, but rather thousands. I don't care what she says but the fact is that those kids are going to be testing on that subject, and although she can present a balanced viewpoint mingling her beliefs with what the film says, that's not really her job. If she wants to get involved with Key Club or Fellowship of Christian Athletes, then fine.

BTW, I feel the same way about injecting any beliefs on students. There was a teacher who was a vegetarian who had several students stop eating meat because she'd impressed on them her beliefs that meat is bad. And those were third graders.

Using the position as pastor of a flock of people that will hang on every word you say
can be pretty powerful, and power like that can go to some people's heads. Especially
if you never ask why... This is a learning process.

We have several fine teachers at the school who lead by example, including one who has his own church.

if you go too a church where every on is in one mind and one accord like its suppose to be , were every one there came for the sole purpose to worship and praise the LORD you won't believe how good church can be for you

There are so many wonderful things to do and learn at church. Why not stick to the Gospels and leave politics and other stuff out of it? Take what you learn in church and apply it that your everyday life and live the example. Not as easy as it sounds, but the way you live your life and treat others speaks volumes.

Do you have to go to church to be ...

religious
have faith
Go to a better place someday
be accepted
be forgiven

Is church a more social environment than religious?

GMN

GMN, this is why I go to church. I wrote this in a previous thread and did not feel like typing it again. I did however delete other info.
rockridgecattle":21224qe9 said:
Any how here is a story from one of our pastors sermons on why to attend church.
A man who was faithful in attending church stopped going. He was a God fearing man, had a heart for the Lord. One day the pastor stopped by to check up on him and see how he was doing. When the visit was nearing it's end, the pastor asked the man why he stopped coming. The man said, so many problems, why bother. What is the point? Both men sat staring into the fire that was in the fireplace. The pastor thinking on the Lord praying for wisdon on what to say, the man waiting for a reply. Suddenly the fire popped and out came a glowing ember. It glowed bright for a time and gradually faded. When the pastor spoke, he said, church is like the fire. When we are together, we glow bright for the Lord. We are strong. We pray together, fellowship together, draw strength from one another. However when we leave that fold, that strength, we become like this ember that left the fire. We glow bright for a time, but gradually, we dim, grow cold. Had that ember stayed in the fire, it would still be bright, drawing strength from the rest of the fire. As the pastor got up to leave he wished the man a plesant evening, and the two parted ways. Both men thinking on the fire, and the ember that grew cold.

We as Christians need fellowship with like minded believers. To hold us accountable, to encourage, to be a family. Without that we could get lost in an ever changing world, enter into false doctrine unsuspectingly, slowly pull away from the Lord, and loose sight of what is important in life, a personal relationship with the Lord.
Church might not be perfect, but neither is any family relationship. It takes work to make it work...just like marrage.

GMN":2vkv367q said:
Do you have to go to church to be ...

religious
have faith
Go to a better place someday
be accepted
be forgiven

Is church a more social environment than religious?

GMN

Nope, but hopefully you'll have all these when you leave church and share them with the world asap. ;-)

alacattleman":cf75ids1 said:
http://www.whnt.com/news/sns-ap-us--fathersdaybeating,0,4417552.story :mad: do we need church....we need GOD

Yes we need Church. Jesus left us a Church. He did not leave us a book all rolled up nicely ready to preach...the Church decided which "books" would comprise THE book......even the book says to listen to the Church. As I said earlier, I would have no reason to beleive one word of "The Book" unless "The Church" told me it was the inspired Word of God.

not what i meant, when i see things happen like this poor kid..... and by the way, they seem too be happenin' every single day... we need GOD,

Latest posts