Chuck Steak or Chuck Roast

Help Support CattleToday:

terra8186

Reaction score
I am having a couple of calves butchered. One of the butchers questions is Chuck Steak or Chuck Roast. I have seen biased opinions from my internet search saying chuck steak is good to eat.

What would you get and why.

If the chuck is off a fat animal that is well marbled like Herf etc. I would say go for steaks if it is off a leaner animal like "well you know" I would get roasts as you can always bake it slow and long..We do Holstein a lot and they get fat and are every well marbled and my mother and father always have first dibs on the chuck steaks..They love it and so do all their guest when they entertain and BBque..I offer them T bone and Rib but they prefer chuck..

Also, always get bone in when you have any chuck cut,,,the bone is a must .......... :nod:

I like the steaks! Of course we grill our round steaks too, very tender beef.... But can see that if you have an animal that may have some "tougher cuts" you might want to put it into roasts.
So my vote = STEAKS

We take the front quarters and have the Chuck roast cut and then the rest in to hamburger me. Mainly we use alot of hamburger meat in differnt thing.

On young fed animals the chuck steaks to me are good. [not as good as the top steaks of course]
I have the butcher cut the best steaks and the rest roasts.

I have decided to get mostly steaks from now on. Not only does this give you the option of cooking it like a steak, you can also cook it like a roast. It's just me and my wife, so most roasts are too big. By having them cut, we can proportion it out with one, two, or three steaks, whatever is needed. Plus, even when it's slowcooked, you'll have a lot of long fibers in a roast. The steaks are cut across the grain so it falls apart easier.

Latest posts