chronic bloat

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

400 pound plus calf, just taken off of cow, because <br>the calf bloated. Has been put on staight grass hay<br>no alfalfa, or legumes. Had it vet checked, and <br>diagnosed as chronic bloater. Can tube the calf, <br>gas releases, and calf is OK for a day. Then starts<br>all over again. I went three days with no bloat. <br>No change in feed, has lots of water and drinks freely<br>I have been vigilant in looking after her on a four<br>hour basis, and have caught all the bloats so far.<br>This has been going on for about a month, and wondering <br>what else to do. Any suggestions appreciated..<br>Thanks..D
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

I'd seriously consider a rumen fistula. On the left side, the skin is clipped, prepped and frozen with lidocaine. Then a small incision is made, the muscles separated, the rumen brought through, sutured tightly to the skin then opened. The muscles act as a valve so that it doesn't stink all the time, yet it releases gas to prevent further bloat. If done properly, no infection, no leakage, no smell and a calf which doesn't bloat for 4 months plus! It's fairly easy and straightforward....and it works! Talk to your vet about it--I've done several and been very pleased with the results<br>V
<br>

[email protected]

<br>THERE IS A PRODUCT CALLED A BLOAT BLOCK THAT WORKS VERY WELL AND PROBABLY IS LESS EXPENSIVE THAN A SURGICAL PROCEDURE SUCH AS A RUMEN FISTULA. THE BLOCK CONTAINS PALOXALENE WHICH PREVENTS AND REMEDIES BLOAT. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT....RETAIL IS $15.00. <br>
<br>

Latest posts