Christmas cookies

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Had a friend send me a link to " Northpole.com " which has a recipe board...more cookies than one would immagine. Just click on the name and the receipe comes up. Nasty day here today so I think that I'll get in the festive mood and bake.
Yeah....real old men bake cookies.
Besides I never met a cookie that I didn't like.
Dave Mc

Bet ya' never met a cookie that didn't like you, either... :D

Alice

I baked cookies and cakes with my dad when I lived at home.
We would cover the dinning room table with Christmas stuff to eat. He's 71, he still bakes and cooks, and I join him sometimes.

I think most men like to cook. I know my dad does, and he loves to eat. :shock: :lol:

Thanks for name of the site.

Susie David":i4zjf8sl said:
That was back before I hitched up with Susie.... ;-)
Still admire a well baked cookie but the sampling days are over.
Dave Mc

You and Susie...ya'll rock! :D

Alice

Just_a_girl":3ttxpbd9 said:
We would cover the dinning room table with Christmas stuff to eat. He's 71, he still bakes and cooks, and I join him sometimes.

I think most men like to cook. I know my dad does, and he loves to eat. :shock: :lol:

Oh my gosh! My Daddy loved to cook! I do miss him so...

Alice

Alice":2k667xmo said:
Just_a_girl":2k667xmo said:

Oh my gosh! My Daddy loved to cook! I do miss him so...

Alice

Cereal is about the extent of my father's cooking ability!

cfpinz

thanks for the cookie site, jane and bake cookies every yr for xmas,, barb joined our cookie party last yr we bake all kinds of cookies make up cookies trays and pass them out to family and friends.. janes son ty always has to come to guest house {grandpa's} when were baking.. we couldnt sneak off from if we wanted to LOL.. were getting geared up now gathering supply's it will soon be "cookie time" rose

This site comes at a perfect time, and with some many recipe ideas.

The other day while shopping, I found 4 small cookie jars, $3 each. I'm going to fill with baked goods and give away during the holidays. Good thing about the cookie jars is they can be left out and used year round. Of course, I have to keep one for myself. LOL

Several ladies I know have a cookie exchange parties at Christmas time.

My daughter and I usually bake together, we would be up until 1 in the morning baking. She moved to another state several months ago, started a new life and new job. She does not have any time built up at work to take off to be home for Christmas. :( So....this year, we will bake together by speaker phone. :lol:

Got any favorite/family holiday recipes/traditions you care to share?

My heritage is European, at Christmas time, my family always has a bûche de noël. It's a yellow cake, frosted with a coffee flavor butter frosting, made of powdered sugar, coffee, and butter. The cake resembles a log, and it's very rich, but so good. Here is a link so you can see what it looks like. http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l ... l_ill.html

I still place my daughter's wooden shoes and mine (that I wore at carnival when I was little) by the fireplace during holidays. When she was little, she would put carrots in her shoes, and Santa would replace the carrots with chocolates.

Sorry.....Didn't mean to hijack this thread. Thought it would be interesting to hear from others.

my family always has a bûche de noël. It's a yellow cake, frosted with a coffee flavor butter frosting, made of powdered sugar, coffee, and butter. http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l ... l_ill.html

the cake looks really good. we do a pumpkin roll made w a cream cheese powder sugar filling that kinds looks like that.. do you have the ingredients in English? would love to try that.. Rose

brownmule":1eyxxvm3 said:
my family always has a bûche de noël. It's a yellow cake, frosted with a coffee flavor butter frosting, made of powdered sugar, coffee, and butter. http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l ... l_ill.html

the cake looks really good. we do a pumpkin roll made w a cream cheese powder sugar filling that kinds looks like that.. do you have the ingredients in English? would love to try that.. Rose

My friend makes that pumpkin roll, it's really good.
I do, and I can also translate the one that is on the link that I attached. :D

BM,

Here is a recipe for Coffee frosting.

Coffee Butter Frosting
Ingredients
1/2 cup brewed hot 100% Colombian Coffee concentrate (1 cup ground coffee to 8 ounces cold water)
1/3 cup sugar
pinch salt
3 egg yolks
1 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions
Combine coffee, sugar, salt and egg yolks in bowl, beat by hand over simmering water until thickened. Beat by machine until cold. Beat in butter 1 tablespoon at a time, then beat in vanilla until thick enough to spread.

You may need to make more because of filling the cake. After spreading frosting on cake, I drag a fork through the frosting on the cake to make it resemble bark on a log. Sprinkle some powdered sugar over log for snow, and enjoy.

BTW, You might find that cake is easier to handle if chilled a little. ;-)

I would just use a yellow cake mix and bake it in a jelly pan.
as you do for your Pumpkin Roll.

Hope it works out for you.